KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Current Employee, more than 3 years

The Truth About Avalara

Jun 11, 2015 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

This was a good company years ago but the company culture has been drastically degrading. They offer decent healthcare and paid time off. If you're a friend, family member or a former business associate of an executive a VP or a manager then you have great job security and preferential treatment. Some of the satellite offices are filled with 80+% of these kinds of protected employees, a bit unsettling if you're not one of them. Management throws out catchy phrases like "ask for forgiveness not permission" but don't tell you that it only applies to the protected employees and that all others can be easily fired the moment they question anything or step out of line in any way. The company has decent branding of its products but competitors are starting to catch up. Marketing works very hard to constantly find and bury any negative feedback about the company and it's products. So there's a constant churn of new naive employees, some of whom can survive if they don't ask questions, don't make any suggestions and follow orders unquestionably. The company has lured quite a few investors into believing in the value and vision painted by the company so there's a decent amount of funding for the lavish parties and special "business" trips taken by management (and strategic alliance managers) with their certain strategic partners.

Cons

Don’t be misled by the ‘seemingly’ high rating of both the company and the CEO on Glassdoor. There are good companies out there that truly care about their employees. Avalara (at the time of this review) is currently not one of them. Sort the reviews by the "Rating" and you'll see a consistent pattern. - The company does not care about the employees but misleads them into thinking that their opinions actually matter. - Heavy cronyism and protectionism of friends, family & former business associates of: executives, VPs and managers. Employees that are in this category have great job security without having to perform. - Even mid-level managers have carte blanche to fire employees without question or repercussions from upper management or HR. - The constant churn (hiring and firing) of employees causes very low morale on some teams. There's a constant ebb and flow of low morale moving across various teams at all times. - Customer experience during implementation process has been mediocre at times. - Customers have mentioned their dissatisfaction with the support and the customer service and would switch to a competitive solution if there were better options. - Unclear "rules of engagement across teams and departments" causes turmoil and confusion regarding duties, responsibilities and (for the sales teams) who should work various leads. - Certain midlevel managers don't see the value of having the reseller channel and have voiced their vision of a completely direct sales model in the future. - Reseller channels are fed-up with the company being so aggressive and have been flocking to alternative solutions.

Continue reading
    27 people found this review helpful
  1. 5.0
    Current Employee

Wonderful Company

Jun 15, 2022 - Customer Success Intern
    Business Outlook

Pros

Fantastic people, lovely work environment.

Cons

Wonderful people, lovely environment! Great company

Be the first to find this review helpful

Avalara Response

Sr. Manager, Community Strategy

Thank you for sharing about your experience working at Avalara. We appreciate your feedback and we’re grateful that you’re part of our orange team.

2. 2.0
    Former Employee, less than 1 year

Don't work for the 'Corporate Experience' Team

Jul 24, 2022 - Program Coordinator in Seattle, WA
    Business Outlook

Pros

Company is high growth so its always evolving, positions getting added all the time. GREAT people, I met the best people on other teams from my own networking. Decent pay, good/average daily culture depending on your team.

Cons

The CE team have the most toxic mangers I've ever experienced. Felt like I was back in the sorority in college. They DO NOT care about you. Both are fake, spread rumors about you and will throw you under the bus in a moments notice. They ONLY want 'yes' people, so your actual opinion better match theirs. Don't have a personal life during the week, as it will intrude in the unnecessary last minute requests that come to you. It takes weeks and months to get basic things done, as the Director doesn't respond to email unless it's important to her. They will take the credit of your work when done well, or talk down to you and belittle you if not done perfectly. I was honestly told "we do not have room for mistakes on this team" when I asked about authenticity and psychological safety during meetings... They like to give out tasks one at a time, so a 'project management' background is an absolute joke. Hierarchy is very important to them, they MUST feel bigger, better and smarter than you. Be very careful in considering a role on this team!!

Continue reading
    4 people found this review helpful

Avalara Response

Sr. Manager, Community Strategy

Thank you for taking the time to share your experience and bring it to our attention. Avalara is committed to having people managers who support, engage, and develop the Avalarians on their teams, so your feedback is concerning. We’d like to learn more about what you’ve observed so that we can continue to improve, please contact avalisten@avalara.com to follow up.

Discover more reviews about Avalara.

Avalara Photos

+ Add Photo
Avalara photo of: Avalara executives and event emcee at Connect 2022.
Avalara photo of: Avalarians celebrate PRIDE at an event organized by the PRISM employee resource group
Avalara photo of: Employees enjoy a hot dog BBQ sponsored by Veterans of Avalara
Avalara photo of: Grace Hopper Celebration attendees in Orlando, Florida
Avalara photo of: AfroTech World attendees pause for a photo at the Avalara booth
Avalara photo of: Customer Success team works on cases during the Bug Bash
Avalara photo of: Teams meet on the steps in our Durham office.