Avanade - Overall a great learning experience | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Avanade

"Overall a great learning experience"

Former Contractor - Human Resources in Seattle, WA
Former Contractor - Human Resources in Seattle, WA

I worked at Avanade as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

As a contractor I was able to work remotely, great management/team structure, better than average salary & a fantastic learning experience. I worked with a group of intelligent HR professionals who helped better my career.

Cons

If you don't mind working 10+ hour days and feeling constantly glued to your laptop -- then that would be my only con. That's the case with all contract roles, especially when you're working at a higher level.

Other Employee Reviews for Avanade

1. "Great Opportunities, Crappy Life Balance"

Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX
    Former Employee - Senior Consultant in Dallas, TX

I worked at Avanade full-time (More than a year)

Pros

This is a great company with great people. There are many benefits to being a child company of Accenture and Microsoft. It was a great place to start my consulting career and I would recommend it to anyone that can withstand the impact to their life when it comes to travel.

Cons

Travel, plain and simple. I thought I could handle it, and I did for a while, but it took it's toll on myself and my wife. In the end it just wasn't a good fit.

Advice to Management

It is something I believe they already do, but staff local as much as possible. I think I was involved in a downturn of the Dallas market which had me traveling out of region.

2. "I didn't choose consulting to sit at home with nothing to do"

Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Systems Engineer in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Avanade full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training program for new hires. The people I have met are great. Some upper level people are really good about reaching out to new hires

Cons

I've been working from home unstaffed since I got out of training 4 months ago, which is the total opposite of what I was told throughout the recruiting process (80% travel, working in project teams, being around people, etc). I haven't met any coworkers except at the one company event there has been, and the office is always empty. All this is especially frustrating when I moved across the country not knowing a soul, based on promises of travel and working with people...instead I've been ignored for 4 months, as have the others from my training class. No new hire should be expected to sit with no real work to do for 4 months, or anyone for that matter.

Advice to Management

Be honest about this new operating model-is this going to mean no travel/increased virtual projects or not? Have a place for new hires to go when they get out of training-very unmotivating to sit at home alone for 4 months, not to mention wasteful of good talent. Stop sending emails talking about "record sales" and then telling us we may not be staffed for 9 more months...clearly that isn't right