Avaya - Like the Broncos - Each year seems to be a rebuilding season | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Avaya

"Like the Broncos - Each year seems to be a rebuilding season"

Current Employee - Professional Services in Westminster, CO
Current Employee - Professional Services in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Getting to work with cutting edge technology, very flexible on telecommuting, great people - very knowledgable and very helpful, great training opportunities, large company so if you're laid off you can easily find another group to work for, decent pay and benefits

Cons

Pay/bonus tied to company performance but company performance is perennially sub-par so...no bonuses and 1.5% raises are the norm. Favorite cost cutting measure seems to be laying people off

Advice to Management

People are the key to success. It doesn't matter how great the product is if the people necessary to engineer it, service it and sell it have either been laid off or are waiting their turn. We have great products and great people - give us some reason to be excited about Avaya again.

Other Employee Reviews for Avaya

"Pay is reasonable but corporate culture and focus...."

Former Employee - Support Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Support Engineer in Richardson, TX

I worked at Avaya full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive and after leaving I found the benefits were good as well.

Cons

Company is driven by metrics. Everything is by the number even if it does not make sense. It does not seem to matter how good your end product as an employee, If you got great results but your metrix suck then you got a bad review.

Advice to Management

Let managers manage their product and people. Give them flexibility to manage individuals.

It appears to me that Avaya tries to dictate the customers business to match Avaya's ever changing business focus. It was a mistake to, soon after the acquisition get into the mindset of it it isn't RED it's Dead. You abandoned a lot of Nortel products because, apparently, they competed with the Avaya legacy products. I do not have the numbers to back this up but from where I sat, They did this even though in many cases the Nortel installed base was higher the feature content and quality and performance was better and customer loyalty to the product line was significant.

"A company being driven into the ground by a private equity firm while Kevin "Slim Pickens" Kennedy waves his cowboy hat"

Current Employee - Backbone Support Engineer in Highlands Ranch, CO
    Current Employee - Backbone Support Engineer in Highlands Ranch, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good Pay, decent benefits, Ability to work from home

Cons

At best leadership is dismissive of our customers, at worst they are disdainful of them. Constant "reminders" about focusing on customer satisfaction while leadership actively implements policies to stop providing services our customers are paying for without actually telling them.

Strict adherence to the IBM support model of "It's easier to ask forgiveness from a customer than it is to do what they are paying us to do."

Forced ranking of the employees provides absolutely no incentive to work harder. Being told several years in a row that there will be no bonuses and token .5% raises (no matter how high you are rated) while the CEO and Board each take multi-million dollar pay raises kills any loyalty and morale that may be left.

Continued investment in support centers in India and Argentina when the past 8 years has proven that the employees (most of them) don't care about doing more work and getting better because they can dump it off on North America. The work always ends up back in North America where a work force that is drastically understaffed and over worked employees are constantly told they need to do better and more with less while half their team was just let go again.

Advice to Management

Either come out and admit you are driving things into the ground to strip the company to pieces for sale, or start listening to your employees and your customers. Right now, the only people being listened to are the sycophants put in place by Silverlake, and it is killing the company.