Avaya - Average telecom company | Glassdoor

"Average telecom company"

Former Employee - Regional Manager in Miami, FL
Former Employee - Regional Manager in Miami, FL

I worked at Avaya full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good products, very competitive environment

Cons

not friendly, and very stressful, no work-life balance

Advice to Management

Middle management requires more education

Other Employee Reviews for Avaya

"Like the Broncos - Each year seems to be a rebuilding season"

Current Employee - Professional Services in Westminster, CO
    Current Employee - Professional Services in Westminster, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Getting to work with cutting edge technology, very flexible on telecommuting, great people - very knowledgable and very helpful, great training opportunities, large company so if you're laid off you can easily find another group to work for, decent pay and benefits

Cons

Pay/bonus tied to company performance but company performance is perennially sub-par so...no bonuses and 1.5% raises are the norm. Favorite cost cutting measure seems to be laying people off

Advice to Management

People are the key to success. It doesn't matter how great the product is if the people necessary to engineer it, service it and sell it have either been laid off or are waiting their turn. We have great products and great people - give us some reason to be excited about Avaya again.

"Pay is reasonable but corporate culture and focus...."

Former Employee - Support Engineer in Richardson, TX
    Former Employee - Support Engineer in Richardson, TX

I worked at Avaya full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pay is competitive and after leaving I found the benefits were good as well.

Cons

Company is driven by metrics. Everything is by the number even if it does not make sense. It does not seem to matter how good your end product as an employee, If you got great results but your metrix suck then you got a bad review.

Advice to Management

Let managers manage their product and people. Give them flexibility to manage individuals.

It appears to me that Avaya tries to dictate the customers business to match Avaya's ever changing business focus. It was a mistake to, soon after the acquisition get into the mindset of it it isn't RED it's Dead. You abandoned a lot of Nortel products because, apparently, they competed with the Avaya legacy products. I do not have the numbers to back this up but from where I sat, They did this even though in many cases the Nortel installed base was higher the feature content and quality and performance was better and customer loyalty to the product line was significant.