Avaya - Overly bureaucratic and only interested in good metrics, not good products | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Avaya

"Overly bureaucratic and only interested in good metrics, not good products"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I have been working at Avaya full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Nearly everyone that I've worked with has been nice and hard(-ish) working. Work-live balance seems good day to day. Compensation can be reasonable if you negotiate well (be careful with vacation now that they're moving to "discretionary time off"). Other benefits are fine (but watch out for more cuts here).

Cons

It's impossible to get anything done (and shipped to customers) without official approval. This wouldn't be so bad if getting official approval didn't double the length of the project. It's a bunch of little things that add up. You go to committee to try to get your project concept approved and if the other presentations run over, you could have to wait weeks for the next opportunity. All of the different players get to estimate how long they'll take, and they all over estimate because things fall apart if anyone goes over. Everyone seems happy to help, but only if they can make it official so they get the budget for their time. After years of layoffs, incentives to leave, and benefit cuts nobody is feeling very secure. There's very little investment in the future, in the products or in the employees. It seems like company owners are just getting what they can before they can sell it to some unsuspecting buyer.

Advice to Management

Replace the people at the top. Lead from engineering, not quarterly sales/finance. A company this size should have way more people in research and new product development. Don't just milk the existing products, build something that will be great in two or five years. Treat your employees fairly. If you're going to take some form of compensation away, be sure to replace it with something that the employees want more. Strip down the process, or make safe-havens for rapid development.

Other Employee Reviews for Avaya

"They speak of great culture and ethics, while working towards a slavery model."

Current Employee - Tier III Support Engineer in Denver, CO
    Current Employee - Tier III Support Engineer in Denver, CO

I have been working at Avaya full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Avaya seems to be fairly competitive with wages. They have a lot of intelligent people and great technology.

Cons

Avaya culture has changed dramatically over the last decade. A company that once went out of its way to reward loyalty and recognize their employees, now moves forward with an attitude of "It is a privilege to work for us, if you don't like what we are doing, you are free to leave." They no longer care to have conversations about what is wrong with the infrastructure or how it can be streamlined. Instead it has become a dictatorship where they continue to "take from" rather than "give to" their employees. Just as Network World was announcing that Kevin Kennedy received a fivefold pay increase, Avaya announced (without warning) that they were taking away our accrued vacation model and going to a Discretionary Time Off (DTO) model. With the new model you have to negotiate with your manager to get time off and you do NOT accumulate vacation. If they feel that the "Needs of the Business" will allow for some time off, they may grant it to you if they deem you so worthy. (but one should not expect the same amount of time off that was previously earned through tenure.) So those that have been loyal for many years, essentially lose the additional time off that they earned through hard work. They also continue to shave away at the benefits and reduce the rewards. Then they spin the announcements in an attempt to make the changes appear attractive and appropriate. If you take the time to review their strategy and the changes they have made, it is very apparent that they are slowly working their employees towards a perfect slavery model where only the masters benefit. Avaya has had many internal problems for many years and they remain unresolved. If Avaya customers had any idea just how unstable and unreliable the tools are the we use to support them, they would find it hard to sleep at night. This was once a great place to work and I was proud to be Avayan. Unfortunately those days are gone and I no longer hold the pride I once enjoyed.

Advice to Management

My team and I have gone to management many times to point out issues and help bring resolution. Unfortunately arrogance and ego prevents the upper management from having any 'take away' from the lower echelons. I have a book of documentation on issues and how they can be resolved. It has become apparent our attempts have been a waste so I will not waste more time in this venue.

2. "Great opportunities to make a contribution"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Basking Ridge, NJ
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Basking Ridge, NJ

I have been working at Avaya full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Significant opportunities to make contributions in cloud, video and contact center initiatives. Marketplace positioning improving. Great people to collaborate with

Cons

Culture change ongoing at Avaya as the company focuses on software and the cloud. Not everyone embracing the change at the same pace.