Avenir Publishing - Great Stepping Stone to Learning the Publishing Business | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Avenir Publishing

"Great Stepping Stone to Learning the Publishing Business"

Former Employee - Ad Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Avenir Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Boutique firm, so there are not that many people; therefore, one gets to really know everyone. Makes for a great team environment and really fosters a "family" feel. The work is not "hard" but it is challenging. If one can deliver results there are nice bonuses and perks in addition to the commissions. Also -- which I think is huge nowadays -- the owners/management are more than willing to work with employees to help them to be successful. They understand that happy, productive employees are going to make the company to be more successful. For somebody just out of college who wants a solid place to start a career here in Chicago this can be vital.

Cons

Friday's gatherings could be a wee bit longer :) Maybe incorporate in a 10- 15 minute morning and 10-15 minute afternoon break?

Advice to Management

Perhaps create some new avenues/channels to generate sales revenue that can be used as upwardly mobile positions for employees to pursue?

Other Employee Reviews for Avenir Publishing

1. "Former Marketing Associate"

Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Marketing Associate in Chicago, IL

I worked at Avenir Publishing full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Overall a good experience- I learned a lot and was happy with what I was doing. I ended up leaving only when a college friend got me my dream job doing something completely different. On my last day I was given paperwork summarizing the past, current and future commission that I was owed which was paid to me in the next payroll. It all seemed straightforward and professional.

Cons

I don't understand how anyone posting on this company can claim to have been micromanaged- if anything, there is not enough managerial involvement. They are quick to show successful employees career progression, to the point of promoting people to leadership roles too early and before they are ready. Management is there if you need help, but to a certain extent people are left to their own devices to work as hard as their own individual work ethic allows them to. I'd never gotten the vibe of being micromanaged, but then again I am someone who actually works hard while on the clock.

Advice to Management

Positive and young office culture, but could be improved. For incentives, give people the option for money instead of company parties.

2. "IN MY EYES..."

Former Employee - Ad Sales Representative in Chicago, IL

I worked at Avenir Publishing full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I worked as an advertising sales representative during 2014. From day one I realized that that the company as a whole was pretty laid back. Everyone was very welcoming, including the owners who were always clear about their open door policy. They were both very charming and down to earth which made it very easy to talk to them about anything, though I honestly never had much to complain about.

The sales team was led by the toughest VP I'd ever encountered... but he was also the nicest and couldn't have been a more fair person. And he was always professional whether it was on the phones, on the sales floor or even in his office.

As far the work, as with any job if you put in the effort you get the results! Coming from a sales background, I had a good understanding of the job. With time, I had an even better understanding and became a better salesperson. The sales team was very knowledgeable and helpful and it really was a team environment.

There were many perks that came with the job. The salary was fair and the sales commissions were good. In addition, they offer plenty of paid holidays and personal days, more than any company I've ever worked for. The target goals they set were fair and attainable and the rewards for surpassing those goals were awesome. Aside from that, there were incentives and breaks to break up the monotony of work life, like weekly 'Tea Time' where co-workers gathered and shared their favorite dishes, and in-office parties to celebrate the holidays.

Leaving the company was as easy as entering. I put in a fair two weeks notice before moving out of state, after which I did receive my last sales commission check in full. Even months after I'd been gone, I contacted the owners about my change of address and they made sure I received my W2 immediately after.

Overall, I had a good experience at Avenir Publishing.

Cons

I think training could have been a bit more structured.

Advice to Management

The only way to lose the stigma of negative rumors is to prove them wrong. Always treat everyone how you would want to be treated and that should solve everything.