Avis Budget Group - stay away, far away | Glassdoor

"stay away, far away"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Denver, CO

Pros

I received regular paychecks
I had some great co-workers
The uniforms (pants, shirts, ties, hats, outside weather related outfits) were provided
Insurance coverage

Cons

I could go on forever & ever about the horrible experiences I had working at Avis. It all comes down to management & their belief they can do no wrong and are perfect in every way. They were also very lazy. They only care about themselves & not their employees, customers or other managers. Many times I heard something along the lines of, "I don't care, that's not my shift" or department or whatever. They were very re-active rather than being pro-active. It's all about sales, sales, sales. I get that part. Profits are good. Profits by screwing your employees & customers in the short term does not equate to profits in the long term. Management by fear is a favorite tactic. Once the economy gets better people will be leaving there in mass. How bad is it when you have high turnover in a poor economy? There are quite a few long term/lifers working there but there are 4-5 times that many that last less than a few weeks. Mandatory overtime because they can't/won't replace those that leave. Working 6-7 days a week for months while being short-staffed. Inventory management is horrible....hundreds of cars in return lane, 10 on the ready line, with 20 customers coming off each consecutive bus. "We're working on it, just be patient...." That's the tip of the iceberg.....seriously, after 2+ years I could go on & on & on. Thankfully I finally found my out & bolted out of there. I do find it funny that it took 2 people to replace me on the shifts that I was previously working alone, and they're both now gone too.....

Advice to Management

Listen to your employees.
Realize you're not perfect
Treat your employees with respect, not as if they're a necessary evil
Get rid of the gestapo-esque attitude

Other Employee Reviews for Avis Budget Group

"Badly Managed Place"

Current Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Chicago, IL

Pros

Good uncapped commissions
    Good health benefits
    there is barely enough good to write about this company.

Cons

Unfair and incompetent Management
    Mandatory OT
    Upper Management treats you like children
    Unorganized place
    no advancement
    behind competition
    managemet doesnt listen to ideas

Advice to Management

hire new management

"Wouldn't Recommend Working Here"

Current Employee - Rental Sales Agent in La Crosse, WI
    Current Employee - Rental Sales Agent in La Crosse, WI

Pros

Station Managers are awesome! Very hands on, personable, and readily available to help. If you do your job well, you can make decent money.

Cons

1. Empty Promises- Told there are plenty of opportunities for advancement when there really aren't. Overly qualified people are getting turned away from promotions and the hires come from less knowledgeable people from outside the company.

2. Very hard to get a raise. When you're one year evaluation comes up, they put it off as long as they can.

3. Very low pay compared to other rental car companies. For the amount of work you do, you don't event get paid half of what someone in the same position with Hertz or Enterprise makes.

4. If someone quits they take their sweet time finding a competent replacement. You end up working 6-7 days a week until a feasible replacement is found which could take months.

Advice to Management

I understand the economy is in the dumps and revenue has gone down but pay your employees what their worth. And when you tell someone there are plenty of opportunities for advancement, let them advance. Don't hire someone that's overqualified for a low-level job if you have no intentions of promoting them.