Avis Budget Group - A team with no direction is headed for failure | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Avis Budget Group

"A team with no direction is headed for failure"

Current Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Tucson, AZ
Current Employee - Rental Sales Agent in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Great training program and commission while you learn ABG Customer Service and Sales steps.

Cons

Horrible pay and backstabbing employees

Advice to Management

Be more active and dont just sit in the back office all day... You are management so manage.

Other Employee Reviews for Avis Budget Group

1. "Avis Budget Group in Virginia Beach, VA"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Virginia Beach, VA

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Location, job satisfaction, environment, management, workload

Cons

Salary, Salary, Salary, Salary, Salary

"Misleading - I left a great paying/secure job for this????"

Former Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA
    Former Employee - Rental Sales Associate in Atlanta, GA

I worked at Avis Budget Group full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

- Good product training
    - Union (but not very strong at our location)

Cons

Not until 45 days into my position did my co-workers (not Managers) finally explain to me the commission structure. If I had been told about the way the commission works at Avis before starting, I would NOT have taken the position. As a Sales Professional, I expect to be paid for my performance. Avis has a structure where you are penalized for randomness.

The structure for commission is as follows: you are to sell to customers coverages (Insurance,) upsells (get them into a nicer car,) and accessories (GPS, XM, etc.) Your target numer formula is as follows: extra revenue / # of rental days. What this means is that if a customer comes up to the counter, and has already purchased a 15 day rental and buys zero extra items, you have 15 big fat zeros into your monthly commission therefore bringing your $ down. This creates all sorts of issues: reps running away from the counter when they see customers with large suitcases (they know they are going to be using the car for a long time,) selective profiling (targeting only out-of-country customers b/c they are more likely to purchase coverages,) and a strong customer resentment knowing that in the end, servicing someone is COSTING YOU $ because they simply decide not to add $ to his/her own bill.

Avis can spin this structure any way they want, but there is no getting away from the fact: if you do not sell something to a customer, the customer takes money away from you personally / not Avis.

Advice to Management

Many of the Atlanta location Managers have been in their position for many years and have become lethargic and complacent because of years of being beaten into a conformed role. One Manager in particular was denied a promotion and therefore just 'checked out', yet they have not replaced her. Their has NEVER been a single Atlanta Rental Sales Agent be promoted into a Management position locally. This shows extreme terror in the idea of promoting from within and taking ideas from individuals on the front line.