Avis Budget Group - Company does not value worth | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Avis Budget Group

"Company does not value worth"

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Miami, FL
Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Miami, FL

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great employee benefits (401K, retail discounts, great rates on rentals)

Cons

No opportunity for advancement. Management is unaware of most daily operations. Employees greatly undervalued and underpaid. High turnover.

Advice to Management

Hire employees will qualified education and experience. Grow from within

Other Employee Reviews for Avis Budget Group

"Great company, not so great upper management"

Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Current Employee - Operations Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time

Pros

Great opportunity for advancement.
    You learn a lot from experienced employees.
    Get to meet a lot of people.

Cons

Lot's of company politics and favoritism.
    If you don't have a thick skin, this job is not for you!!!!
    If you're in a management position, you are expected to work 10 hours+ per day and you have to be prepared do it all, based on employee sick calls, etc. Also, it's considered faux pas to leave on time!! No joke on that one, please believe that I worked there long enough to know and that it is still the case.
    Be prepared to handle everything from employee complaints, customer complaints and peer complaints.

"An efficient, cautious, and trustworthy company, despite some hiccups."

Current Contractor - Agency Operator in Seattle, WA
    Current Contractor - Agency Operator in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Avis Budget Group as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

I've been with the company for close to a year now, and my experience has been all-around positive. While I have had frustrating moments, they're not relationship breakers, and they're certainly something I understood would happen from the very beginning. Senior management is phenomenal, and as my own boss, I go in to work extremely happy because I finally can craft my own work environment.

If you're lucky enough to be put in charge of a startup, you will experience one of the most amazing things of being a small business "owner," which is watching your hard work and labor pay off and grow. I've had some instances of "why am I doing this job?" but when I looked at my agency's revenue reports, I realized I was doing something right.

Avis Budget Group provides you with a fleet of newer-end vehicles to rent (although there is the occasional one that shouldn't be rented that ends up on your lot), free training for you and your employees, and the potential to make some serious income, which is dependent on how much effort you put into keeping your business moving (marketing, which you're in charge of, will be vital to continued growth). The training period is phenomenal (if you get the full 3 months).

Cons

First and foremost, this job is NOT for everyone. There will be no such thing as a personal life after you receive your agency, and as a new operator (especially with a startup) you will be at the low end of the totem pole for everything. Distribution is a pain to deal with, and sometimes getting car inventory is like pulling teeth. As well, I lucked out big time with some great senior management, but I can understand where a lot of Agency Operators had bad experiences simply because of their TPM or DM.

Back on the topic of not for everyone, you're not an employee. You're a small business owner. I listed this as a pro, but it's especially a con if you don't know anything about running a small business. Getting the capital to operate can be rough, and if you don't have enough to furnish for employees, then you'll be on your own, which can be especially burdensome. Then there's the IRS and state, but worst of all is that since you're your own employee, you're not covered by any labor laws, which means you're chained to your contract. If you are a young entrepreneur with a lot of energy and not very much to lose, this is a good job for you, but you'll also have to work your rear off to gain the respect of your peers because most will view you as just some kid if you're under 30. If you have a family and a mortgage, I would discourage this job, unless you read through the contract with a fine-toothed comb and understand what you will be receiving from Avis Budget Group and how it will affect you.

Lastly, the company has a very strict debit card policy which results in a lot of lost potential business (especially on Budget side). These have been the only poor customer service issues I've had, and they've also been the worst, so if you inherit a Budget location, expect to be yelled at from time to time.

Advice to Management

Increase stipend for starting AOs and make sure that locations are able to be up and running with 100% efficiency on the date of opening. There's too much bureaucracy in the company/.