Avis Budget Group - Decent company, Great work-life balance | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Avis Budget Group

"Decent company, Great work-life balance"

Pros

Good work - life balance, company is expanding, open-door policy

Cons

Lack of professional growth and development, non-competitive pay, top heavy management approach

Advice to Management

Review relevant training, review current upper management,

Other Employee Reviews for Avis Budget Group

"Fun to work at. But no advancement."

Pros

Good benefits. Nice coworkers. The workers are friendly and nice to talk to. You get to meet a lot of different kinds of people..

Cons

If you want to move up in the company they don't give you a chance. The equipment you use is so old and never works.

Advice to Management

Get newer equipment for the job and it would be better for everyone.

"Only good as a temporary job while you look for another one."

Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Customer Service Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Avis Budget Group full-time

Pros

*If you like working overtime, then that is definitely going to be a pro for you with Avis/Budget
    *If you are looking for benefits [health, dental, vision, 401k, etc.].. they offer all that here.
    *If you like being part of a union, they have one here.

Cons

Okay, where to start

*Speaking of overtime, after your 90 probation period, that can start giving you mandatory overtime. Just recently, I was scheduled to work 2-10 P.M. I had switched shifts with a co-worker of mine [10-6] because me friend had a going away party [moving across the country permanently]. I had told this to a manager during my workday. That same manager then proceeded to hand me 4 mandatory overtime hours, and I had to stay until 10 anyway. I complained and asked if I can just leave, especially since it was dead. He threatened to write me up if I left. This is a common practice at Avis.

*The weather conditions are terrible. I got frost bite during the winter and have almost fainted a few times in the heat so far.

*Sorely underpaid for the amount of work we do. You start at 11.20 and hour. Job duties include: Checking in customers when they return their cars, inspecting the cars for damage then writing incident reports, handle customer concerns and try helping them out, dispatching and putting cars into the system to they are ready to rent, greeting customers as they get off the bus, working at the counter giving out cars to Preferred or Fastbreak members, working the exit gate, doing inventory and scanning every car on the lot, etc. CSR's probably do more work than anyone else there [including operation managers] and only 11.20 an hour? Get out of here with that.

*The union has made employees lazy, which makes it harder on the new guys. What I mean by this is that employees that have been there for several years use the union to their advantage and basically sit around doing nothing. So when you first start off there, all the work burden is on you. And it will be for a while.

*Seniority prevails. The longer you're there, the better hours you get. Meaning when you start out, you'll get a terrible schedule. You'll probably be stuck on that terrible schedule for AT LEAST 2 years because of the high turnover rate. It's hard to gain seniority when so many people behind you that get hired keep quitting.

*Managers don't care about your suggestions to improve the workplace. They think they know what works even though they aren't the ones out there doing the job. Time after time, their plan fails... and then the complain to us about the job not getting done right.

*Company is fueled by fear. The op. managers try scaring us into doing a better job. The district manager tries scaring the op. Managers into doing a better job. The city manager tries scaring the district manager into doing a better job. It's sickening.