Avon Products - Gain great experience, but at your own expense | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Avon Products

"Gain great experience, but at your own expense"

Former Employee - Brand Manager in New York, NY
Former Employee - Brand Manager in New York, NY

I worked at Avon Products full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

You will take on more responsibilities than the job description detailed.
If you work hard, have a good attitude, and have the ability to adapt easily, you will go far at Avon.

Cons

Senior management does not support process, and they are notorious for continually making knee-jerk decisions and last minute changes that disrupt associates daily work life.
You will NOT be compensated for any additional effort you place into the company, especially in marketing.

Advice to Management

Upper management needs to realize that Avon cannot continue to succeed (or turn around its current business) if it continues its current management practices. Expecting your employees to work 65/70+ hours a week with no compensation can only happen for so long. If you wonder why everyone is leaving the company right now, this is the reason. I would have been willing to stay and work if I knew I was eventually going to get something out of the MANY extra hours I was working. However, I was repeatedly told "thank you" as if that was enough. Take a look at your marketing turnover, take a look at the hours they work, and then take a look at their compensation compared to other teams...if you can't figure out the turnover issue by doing that, then you deserve to be in your current position.

Other Employee Reviews for Avon Products

"You Control Your Destiny"

Current Employee - Representative in Brooklyn, NY
    Current Employee - Representative in Brooklyn, NY

I have been working at Avon Products part-time (More than a year)

Pros

With Avon, you can earn extra spending money or you can make it a full-time endeavor. You control your own hours. It gives you the opportunity to help other women feel more beautiful, more confident. It helps you feel empowered. There is no need to purchase a costly start-up kit. The prices are generally reasonable. Many clients return to you to buy their "regular" products as they run out of them. You can build good business relationships with your recurring clients. New, more modern products are always surfacing while the older, nostalgic products remain. If you know a lot of people and/or have a real "go-getter" attitude, you can have a really lucrative business with Avon.

Cons

The biggest drawback to being an Avon Representative is it is very tempting to buy the very products you are selling. Also, the samples many customers rely upon in order to make a decision as to which products they would wish to purchase have to be bought by us, the representatives. In addition, If you do not know many people, it can be very hard to build a substantial clientele. In my experience, a lot of people just buy from you once for that special Christmas gift or that cute item. Many clients are turned off by the fee they have to pay, which has increased over the years. It used to be 25 cents. The last I saw, it was $1.00. In order to encourage them to buy, especially my "regular" customers, I "waived" their fee, which meant I paid it for them.

Advice to Management

My best advice would be to get rid of the service fee, especially for recurring customers. Also, the samples should be free of charge to the representatives or at least at a much cheaper price than they are currently.

2. "Best company"

Former Employee - Vendor in San Juan, PR
    Former Employee - Vendor in San Juan, PR

I worked at Avon Products part-time (More than a year)

Pros

You work on your time n profits are great.

Cons

You need to know or b able to get out n work to get peopke to try your products..avon dont help much with samples.

Advice to Management

Give more samples n promotions so vendors can have a win win.