Avon Products - Forget About It | Glassdoor

"Forget About It"

Former Employee - Sales Representative in Birmingham, AL
Former Employee - Sales Representative in Birmingham, AL

I worked at Avon Products (Less than a year)

Pros

The products are wonderful. You get a discount on them. The meetings are fun and you earn freebies if you attend them. That is all for the pros.

Cons

Where do I begin? First of all, you don't make any money at all unless you place an order that is over $50, and with a campaign deadline every other week that isn't going to happen. If you do plan on making any money you have to work like a dog in order to meet that $50+ goal.

Secondly, I tried e-mailing my sales leader several times about questions I've had, and she never would respond to my e-mails. I tried calling her too and the phone was supposedly busy. Long story short, you will be manipulated by your sales leaders a lot.

Thirdly, this is a company in which you will actually LOSE money instead of earning it. When you order products for a customer, you not only pay the prices for those products, but you wind up paying a deposit in order to receive them. It is hard to send unwanted products back because Avon charges you (of course) for returns. The chances of being scammed are extremely high - I had a so-called "customer" who placed an online order from my website saying she was doing a photo shoot and there was a list of over $200 worth of products she supposedly needed. I believed it was legit and wound up ordering all this stuff, only to find out I later that had been ripped off. Plus, they will hound you about collections over and over and over again. They will not leave you alone about it unless you pay them.

Advice to Management

Sales leaders and management need to get back with their reps in a timely manner when the reps have questions for them. Train your reps better. Stop charging them for every little thing. Extend the campaign deadlines. If reps get behind on their payments, just remind them ONCE about collections and let them be until they get around to making a payment. Change the rule about only getting money back from $50+ orders. Overall, TAKE CARE OF YOUR REPRESENTATIVES!!!!

Other Employee Reviews for Avon Products

1. "Being my own boss for the past 10 years with AVON has been fabulous!"

Current Employee - Independent Sales Representative & Executive Unit Leader in West Islip, NY

I have been working at Avon Products full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Flexible Hours, Being my own Boss, Free Online Training. It's only $10 to start and you get full support and training from me and AVON District Sales Manager.

Cons

None for me! I get to stay home with my kids and have a great job!

2. "In my short time I have gained so much experience and support from those above me in the company."

Current Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Haltom City, TX
    Current Employee - Independent Sales Representative in Haltom City, TX

I have been working at Avon Products part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I'm allowed to work as much or as little as I want. I can do this from the comfort of my home for the most part. That is beyond wonderful since I am busy with school, my on campus job, practicum, and my family.

Cons

Sometimes it takes forever to get help from those above me,