Avon Products - great opportunity, but needs updating | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Avon Products

"great opportunity, but needs updating"

Pros

Can be a great learning experience and opportunity for newer employees

Cons

very behind technologically, makes for heavier workloads. Representative structure needs simplifying.

Advice to Management

improve the technology. Simplify the representative structure.

Other Employee Reviews for Avon Products

1. "Only constant is a change"

Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist
    Current Employee - Human Resources Generalist

I have been working at Avon Products full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Great working atmosphere, good interpersonal relationships, a million opportunities for learning, development and gaining experience, corporate social responsibility

Cons

Huge workload, ‘hero culture’, too frequent reorganizations, lack of structure and processes

Advice to Management

Structured people management should be your main task

"took a job on recommendation, soon decided to get out of dodge.."

I worked at Avon Products full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

-Well represented brand

-Truly global presence

-Really nice HQ in Northampton

- So many people leaving, there must be career opportunities

- Well established culture - but this is probably a bad thing as well

Cons

Where to start. I joined with high hopes and expectations and to build on previous experiences. The company was very highly thought of in my family, with my mother being an employee for about 15 years before she left about 10 years ago. How things have changed.

The department I worked in saw a churn of 75% in the short time I worked there (I did not last a year as it would have been career suicide, let alone personally depressing) out of a department size of c. 40 people. Morale was at a constant low, and open talks of not if, but when people would leave.

They paid well below market standard, and did not seem to appreciate expertise, all they were after were people to say yes, and when asked to jump the expected reply was 'how high'.

As the multitudes left, there was no replacements, so the workload soon built up to stupid levels where morale was through the floor.

Despite the obvious angst amongst the employees, senior management were either not there, or preferred to dodge the obvious.

The priorities were completely in the wrong place and the overload of death by presentation was unbearable. An attitude of 'don't do, present a presentation' existed'. This at a time when the stock price was tanking was a bit strange...

Overall a very unhappy experience, and is the only company I would (and have) discouraged people to go to interview. The company has lost the heart and soul from 25 years ago, and with the sales channel quickly becoming obsolete it will only be a matter of time before Avon is only a brand of something else, unless they act now and cut the masses amount of red tape and dead wood.

Advice to Management

Sort your selves out. The management structure is far to complex with so many hoops to jump through, people lose the will to live (or in fact just die from old age) before they can affect any change at all. Get more involved with what is happening in the grass roots of the company rather than seeing the masses of Presidents and VP's which fester the business smiling up at you pretending everything is rosy.