BAE Systems USA - Very satisfying | Glassdoor

"Very satisfying"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, NJ
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Wayne, NJ

Pros

A lot of inner communication within the company

Cons

Job security is uncertain at times

Other Employee Reviews for BAE Systems USA

"Roller Coasters are not just at Kings Dominion"

Current Employee - Technical Position in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - Technical Position in Herndon, VA

Pros

Large Company, decent name, good benefits, large selection of work. Possibility of remote work if not assigned directly to office or customer

Cons

Upper management has changed over at least ten times in as many years and has basically been awful. Most come in for less than a year, disrupt everything, layoff critical personnel, and then take a buy out or leave for another company. Also, a complete "good old boy network" in regards to promotions, reviews, and even who gets sponsored for security clearances. Complete short term mercenary outlook by most management.

Advice to Management

Stick around more than a few months, and give some of the improvement programs more than three months before you trash them in favor of some other buzz word! To all the upper management: Stop padding your pockets and the expense of your employees.

"Luck of the draw ... chances are you aren't THAT lucky."

Current Employee - Business Process Manager in Washington, DC
    Current Employee - Business Process Manager in Washington, DC

Pros

Entirely dependent upon the work unit to which you are hired into. I've worked for three, and the first two were absolutely terrible.

If you are lucky to get good leaders and choice assignments, you can go far, learn a lot, and truly enjoy your career. However, you truly have to schmooze to get anywhere positive (assignments, for example).

Ensure your starting salary is satisfactory, because pay raises and promotions are nearly non-existent. Annual merit increases average 2.5 to 3%, which amounts to a cost of living allowance increase.

Benefits are average, but they do offer the full gamut of benefits (short & long term disability, PTO, medical, dental, vision, 401k w/matching, etc.).

Company matches 50% of your 401k contribution up to 7% of your annual salary. There are stock options, but the payout is very low.

The bottom line: It's a job. Nothing more.

Cons

Regardless of your experience and credentials, the way in which you are treated and the opportunities you are afforded are entirely dependent upon the mood of leadership.

There are far too many people in key leadership positions (I cannot count the number of VPs we have) who have no degrees or formal training, but are making ill-informed decisions without asking for input from those in the know.

For an engineering division, we have the ranks of mechanical and electrical engineers who are neither degreed nor certified by their industry. The ones who come into those positions with degrees and certs quickly leave because the old guard is in love with status quo and the so-called good ole boy network runs everything.

The lack of accountability at the middle and senior leader levels is disgusting and infuriating. Staff get fired over inappropriate personal use of the printer, but VPs allow a multi-million dollar program to fail due to lack of oversight and the employment of incompetent friends goes unchecked.

Careerism and CYA attitudes prevail at the middle management level, stifling the innovation, productivity, effectiveness, and overall health and well being of their personnel and the business. Constant reorganization and staffing reshuffling creates a sense of impending doom and fiscal instability within the org.

Employees are constantly bombarded by Sector with emails about every little thing affecting their portion of the organization. Little-to-no communication about what's happening in your own Line of Business or work unit.

Senior leadership at Sector and Line of Business units are isolated and detached from customer-facing employees. Overly bureaucratic; tons of red tape with no clear answers from anyone. Further, no one seems to be in charge of fixing these problems despite the volume of complaints.

Constantly pointed towards a sharing portal that is not navigable and overloaded with outdated, inaccurate information. Heavily reliant upon paper, and where technology is integrated there is no single, enterprise-wide platform.

They are always cash-strapped when it comes to paying for profession-related training, even denying job-specific certifications that the customer and contract require.

By the way: They want me to declare "Do you approve of the way Ian King is leading BAE Systems Technology Solutions?" Ian King runs the global operation, not the US operation and he doesn't run the Sector that I work within. It's an irrelevant question.

Advice to Management

Being a management consultant, I could write a novel for this section. The sad part is, even when I did have the ear of the powers that be who could bring about positive change, they refused to move on anything.

The org needs to lean out, redefine its vision and purpose, invest in its people, say "no" to poor customers, and work on engaging with employees. Over communicating no-value-add email blasts about everything happening at the Sector level is a waste of our overhead dollars: almost no one reads the stuff.

Invest in Six Sigma at every level of the company - the amount of waste in your operations is simply staggering. In one work unit alone, we discovered a way to eliminate nearly $2M in waste annually and we were denied permission to implement the change because it would've required several of us to to be pulled away from our positions for what was considered to great an amount of time. Yet, we're denied training because there's no money?