BAE Systems USA - great in the beginning,but bad economy forced tough decisions as in layoffs and cutbacks | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BAE Systems USA

"great in the beginning,but bad economy forced tough decisions as in layoffs and cutbacks"

Former Employee - Welder in Aiken, SC
Former Employee - Welder in Aiken, SC

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

four day work weeks, very safety oreinted

Cons

no or very low pay raises, no opportuity for advancment

Advice to Management

put people before a budget

Other Employee Reviews for BAE Systems USA

1. "Great company, great work, great customers"

Former Employee - Project Manager in McLean, VA
    Former Employee - Project Manager in McLean, VA

I worked at BAE Systems USA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Challenging environment with the flexibility to engage with customers one-on-one. Management understands that you're not just a number, but an employee.

Cons

Bureaucratic and lots of red tape, indicative of a larger company. Inability to move fast on decisions - too large to be agile.

Advice to Management

Be more innovative and open to new ways of doing things.

"I started off excited to work here, but over time it wore off."

Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA
    Current Employee - Principal Systems Engineer in San Diego, CA

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

I've really enjoyed working with the people at BAE Systems. Generally, I've found the engineers to be good caliber and great to work with! I had the opportunity to work various areas: research & development, technical projects, and several leadership roles.

Cons

My local middle management team of directors and VPs tends to be fairly clueless. They don't seem to invest any time in learning about their customers or markets. When you try to educate them, you are dismissed because they think they already know everything. They seem to be very tribal in operating their business units - if you aren't from there you aren't welcome. There also is much opportunity for mentoring. Virtually none of the senior folks will help you in your career. The only ones who would are of the recently retired generation and none of those left behind seem to find value in it.

Advice to Management

Learn to listen to your people. They are on the ground and in the trenches with the customer on a daily basis. They should be your primary source of intelligence gathering for ongoing opportunities and market shaping. Just because you've become a director or VP doesn't mean you now magically know everything.