BAE Systems USA - Office politics to the extreme | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BAE Systems USA

"Office politics to the extreme"

Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Software Engineer in San Jose, CA

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There used to be exciting projects on the site, but government cutbacks and moving parts of the projects to other sites killed most of that. Many talented individuals were lost in this process.

Most projects you'll have a good work life balance, no forced overtime.

Most of the senior management and tech leads were great people. Very easy to talk to and generally cared about anything you brought to them.

Cons

I dealt with a lot of bad-mouthing behind my back and to my face but in another language. I would often hear my office neighbors insulting all the other coworkers in languages they couldn't understand. Making fun of their weight, abilities, etc.

A few of the people on the team could not code at all but be a senior coder on a project. They would argue a lot about random things they obviously had no idea or proof about.

Like any defense company, you will be doing a lot of paperwork. Far more paperwork than coding.

There were several instances of lazy contractors on various teams there. Not all the contractors were lazy, many were good. The terrible ones, some would disappear during the day but claim a full days worth of work. Others would be snoring in their cube.

Other Employee Reviews for BAE Systems USA

"Review of BAE Systems IT"

Current Employee - IT Analyst in Herndon, VA
    Current Employee - IT Analyst in Herndon, VA

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Can gain exposure to high end technology very rapidly

Cons

Sr. Management has been the consistent downfall across the board

Advice to Management

Engage with your employees to learn what they do instead of using metrics based on ticket numbers which mines exceed they're expectations but its no where near an accurate measure of the work performed.

"Great exposure to technology"

Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Nashua, NH
    Current Employee - Electrical Engineer in Nashua, NH

I have been working at BAE Systems USA full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

BAE is filled with very talented engineers. They have been trying their best in the past few years to have junior engineers and senior engineers work together for the exchange of knowledge. Great for people whom want to learn. 9/80 work hour week!

Cons

There is an enormous disconnect from the decision makers to the lower level engineers. It's hard to switch roles within the company unless you're in their Leadership Development Program.

Advice to Management

Better connection with employees