BAYADA Home Health Care - Great Company to work for | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BAYADA Home Health Care

"Great Company to work for"

Pros

I have worked for more then 5 years have had amazing opportunities to learn so much about the health care field if you are willing to give it your all they will retun it to you.

Cons

Not many to speak of

Advice to Management

When they started the rule hat you had to have a degree to advance they told everyone that they were grandfathered in. After it was started they changed and you have to go back to school to advance.

Other Employee Reviews for BAYADA Home Health Care

"Bayada Talks the Talk, Has Trouble Walking the Walk"

I have been working at BAYADA Home Health Care (More than 3 years)

Pros

Solid mission, great end result of the work that everyone does. Home health care is a booming industry and Bayada is well-positioned for future growth and expansion.

Cons

The company has the greatest mission, and I am privileged to work with many fine individuals. However, there are growing rifts between the Bayada that the outside world sees and the Bayada that really exists. For example:

Bayada is very much an “old boys” (and girls) club. People who have been with the company for about fifteen years or more – and there are a lot of them – feel that they have carte blanche to do whatever they want. That means working from home when it’s convenient for them, taking long lunches, showing up late and leaving early as often as they like, etc.

Following from that point, people who were employed with Bayada prior to 2001 are eligible for an annual profit-sharing bonus in addition to whatever other bonus and compensation they get. This profit-sharing bonus is not available to those hired after 2001. I have asked for an explanation of this policy on several occasions, but have never received one.

The benefit package is shockingly bad. Here are some highlights (lowlights?):

• The insurance is ludicrously expensive (almost ten grand a year to cover a family), and the deductibles are still very high. Lots of people either remain on their spouse’s plan or simply go without insurance. Not a good long-term strategy.
    • The 401(k) plan is pitiful. Employees are only allowed to join after working at Bayada for a year (my last company let me join after a month). Once you’ve joined the plan, Bayada will only match up to 1.4% of your contributions. Yep, one point four.
    • There are no “perks.” Bayada does not have partnerships or discounts with any companies (e.g. gyms, movie theatres, day care facilities, rental car companies). It would be very easy to obtain such discounts given the number of employees at Bayada – over 17,000 people work here – but for some reason they don’t see value in doing so.

Bayada positions itself as a leader/pioneer in home health care systems, but the technological backbone of the company is a text-only, DOS-based software system. Yep, DOS-based. Read that again… DOS. It was state-of-the-art thirty years ago. It’s so unbelievably outdated that when I saw it on my first day here, I thought they were showing it to me for historical value so that I could better understand the company’s “current” software… but I was wrong. We use DOS.

On a similar note, nobody gets new office equipment until the old equipment is far beyond its usable life. I have colleagues whose computers are more than ten years old. Their productivity suffers because their computers are ancient (in the world of computers, ten years is ancient) and it takes forever to get things done. I know one person who – after begging for a new computer for a long time – intentionally poured water on her laptop just so the company would get her a new one after about nine years. Being frugal is one thing, but being stingy to the point of driving employees to sabotage their own equipment is quite another.

Finally, my biggest gripe is that there are too many cooks. There are so many directors, division directors, area directors, regional directors, and project leads that it is never clear who is in charge. As a result, I feel that nobody really takes charge of anything or takes responsibility for anything. Nobody “owns” their work because of the insanely complicated hierarchy. Projects and responsibilities are shuffled around to the point that by the time they are completed, the data is obsolete. There is a kind of a vicious cycle that happens with respect to starting something new – the research begins, there are dozens of meetings about it over the course of a couple years, and it is ultimately determined that it would not make sense to pursue the initiative as it would be too expensive, too complex, or not in line with the company’s now-different goals.

Advice to Management

Bayada is acquiring other companies and growing at a rapid pace – that’s a very good thing. However, you have to manage the growth intelligently and become comfortable with change.

"fair"

Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor
    Current Contractor - Anonymous Contractor

I have been working at BAYADA Home Health Care as a contractor

Pros

Awesome co-workers. Everyone genuinely cares about their clients and goes above and beyond for them.

Cons

seems like the growth is not well planned out, too impulsive, always hearing about this new division or that every few months, growth is resulting in a lot of changes before they even have a good solid handle on the changes and issues from the last division occurring. yet some of the managers micromanage every detail, even when they don't know or have a good understanding of your job title or description. if you are not full-time you get hardly any paid-time off, it takes months, maybe years to get the PTO depending on how much you work already. it keeps accruing but you can't take it until 2000 hours are worked.

Advice to Management

don't micromanage; consider salaried positions for part-timers