BAYADA Home Health Care - It was a good job with great nursing skill opportunities.. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BAYADA Home Health Care

"It was a good job with great nursing skill opportunities.."

Pros

I felt like I made a difference to their pediatric clients. It was a good feeling to work with their families, medical teams, and school staff. Scheduling staff were flexible to my needs. Supportive administrative services. Good recognition.

Cons

Heavy physical demands with potential to injury to self. Moderate to low wage.

Advice to Management

Improved safe guards to your staff, with mechanical lifts and assisted devices.

Other Employee Reviews for BAYADA Home Health Care

"It's taken me over 6 months to write this, because I was so messed up mentally...."

Former Employee - Client Services Manager
    Former Employee - Client Services Manager

I worked at BAYADA Home Health Care full-time (More than a year)

Pros

-Gifts and whatnot for achieving records within the office
    -Initial pay was good
    -There were definitely fun times at the office and corporate level
    -Met some genuinely nice people
    -Loved helping the clients and developing field staff
    -Leadership development opportunities

Cons

I don't even know where to begin honestly. Firstly, I'm still recovering from the mind screwing I got from this company and my Directors. Even after I have become gainfully employed after 6 months of unemployment due to them throwing me out on the streets, I am still very much wounded by all that transpired. I should have kept my mouth shut and worked quietly and searched for another job. I admit I butted heads with some people and was not a favorite, so my future there was looking bleak, because I knew I said too much and created too many waves. When I came in, I was promised a long and fruitful career, if I worked hard and kept my eyes on the prize. I worked my butt off...only to be shown the door when I decided to be honest with my Director that the position just wasn't working for me anymore. I had approached the subject before of transferring to another office and was talked out of it by my Director and went along my way. But things got worse, my happiness went to an all time low and I developed high blood pressure due to the stress of the job and the neverending list of cases to be staffed, without having enough field staff. I wanted an honest conversation with my Director and what I got in return was a forced resignation. I got no help in trying to find another position within the company. I honestly didn't want to leave Bayada...I just didn't want to be a CSM. So that was that and I went about my last few months there as a leper (not that I was "cool" enough to hang with the young ones anyway...) and I left in a much worse state than I thought a job could ever do to me. But that is my personal story...here are some common complaints with which I concur:
    -Pay structure for CSM's is just weird. Your pay is directly related to the number of hours you bill for, so if you lose a client for any reason, bye bye $$$. I was really scared about my guarantee being dropped when I reached two years there. Didn't make it though...
    -Poor benefits. The plan itself was OK (Still has a deductible and copays though...), but having to pay over $200 a WEEK for a family just for Medical??? Ridiculous.
    -Nepotism and favortism. If you are not a golden child under the age of 30, you will probably not make it past the point at which you were hired. My office in particular was full of 20-somethings that had no other work experience and was one huge, catty clique. Super smart and cunning...but backstabbers and coniving.
    -Awards Weekend----what the heck?!?! One big morale booster that only works for a short time. Put that money to better use! I'd rather not have to go to a big celebration and give up a weekend than have more money in my pocket all year round. I can't even imagine how much they spend yearly...
    -Field staff is not recognized nearly as much as they should be...especially with pay! I feel so sorry for those who need to pay for their health insurance because the prices are often more than they could ever make on a weekly basis.
    -Cultish. Enough said.
    This has been a hard review to write. My heart still aches because I gave it my all and was discarded like a piece of trash.

"Great in theory, but didn't translate into practice"

Former Employee - Therapist, Field Staff
    Former Employee - Therapist, Field Staff

I worked at BAYADA Home Health Care full-time

Pros

The "Bayada Way" is a wonderful philosophy and I think that the CEO really believes in it. It includes statements such as "We believe our employees are our biggest asset". Unfortunately, it did not feel like that all the time.

Most employees are caring professionals who go above and beyond for the patients and staff.

The salary was similar to other companies for field staff therapists (though per hour is probably less as the productivity standards are much higher with bahada)

Cons

There was a huge turnover in office staff constantly. Because the office was short staffed, or still learning, it was difficult for the field staff to get the patients or help they needed.

The job promised was not the job in actuality. Each office is run almost like its own franchise and there is much variety. The recruiter did not work directly in my office and misled me on many issues. Not sure if this was purposeful, or if he really did not know. For example, what he stated about the holiday policy, weekend policy and amount of patients needing to be seen in a week were not what happened in my particular office. For example, he told me that an eval was worth 2 point visits and a treatment was worth 1 point visit. Turns out that an evaluation is only worth 1 point visit. (Start of Care are worth 2 points). Since your offer is based on point visits, my weekly productivity standards were much higher than I had originally thought. 4-6 more patients a week than other local home care companies. I told my bosses about this and they said that was awful, but could not do anything to fix it. Other co-workers also told me that the same thing had happened to them.

There were no written rules to follow--field staff does not have access to policies. Often, different persons in the company would give you different information and you did not know which person's advise to follow.

If you were off for any reason, you really had to work hard to get coverage for your patients. Sometimes taking a day off would not have been worth it because it meant you had to squish all your patients into 4 days since no one was available to cover.

You were expected to meet your productivity, and there were consequences if you did not. It did not matter if your patient was in the hospital or not home or had an emergency... No credit was given for scheduling, paperwork, driving, etc with the patient you could not bill.

The phones given were older and did not have blue tooth capacity/ability to use headphones so you could not use them while driving. The office required you to call every patient the night before the visit and the doctor of every new patient, as well as numerous other phone calls. It was difficult to fit all these calls into business hours while seeing patients and driving.

No cost of living raises and very little opportunity for advancement for field staff

Benefits were expensive

Advice to Management

Consider investing in better phones for field staff and paying office staff more. Any investment in employee satisfaction, may save you money in the future with turnover.