BB&T - Used to be a good culture that changed | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BB&T

"Used to be a good culture that changed"

Former Employee - Investment Counselor
Former Employee - Investment Counselor

I worked at BB&T full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

BB&T is one of the few financial institutions that has weathered the financial crisis relatively unscathed. They have great stability and leadership at the top who understand the banking industry. A pension as well as generous 401-k are great perks of working there. I believe they are fair to the customers in most situations. You can feel good about your job knowing that you have helped someone in some aspect of their financial life. Most major initiatives I can see the logic in from a competitive standpoint.

Cons

Over an eleven year tenure I could see that BBT always followed the footsteps of its rivals. Wells (formerly Wachovia) and B of A would implement a major initiative BBT would evaluate and typically follow suit. This is necessary from a competitive standpoint but doesn't make for the best work environment due to increased emphasis on the bottom-line with a decreased emphasis on quality of life. Branch staff is usually overworked and underpaid. It used to be banking was a relationship oriented business. Not anymore. Transactional in nature. My particular experience is that after an 9 years as a top performer in various positions I was let go after I took a territory that was new and had no potential. My manager didn't spend much time helping me and I would almost say didn't give a rip. I was hired by his predecessor and I think he wanted to fill the position with someone more like him. I expressed an interest in a transfer within the company but he wasn't willing to sign off. If you are an investment counselor they treat you as a contract employee. In retail positions they will typically work with you to help you out. Graduates of their management program are almost untouchable as far as reductions. I've seen many less than stellar talent get promoted over other more qualified individuals. Most non-branch/non-production positions are in Winston with some in Wilson. In addition banking isn't really a growth area now and probably won't be for quite some time. If you're in a branch you better be comfortable on the phone. People just don't come in to do banking anymore but you still have to drive revenue.

Advice to Management

You talk a lot about loyalty to the company when it's time to talk money but when the employee needs some help you don't really care.

Other Employee Reviews for BB&T

1. "New to the company and loving it"

I have been working at BB&T full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Better than average bank environment.
    Pension, 401k and wellness programs set it far above other employers
    If you take care of yourself, the company pays you to have health insurance.

Cons

Branches outside of the core market are expected to work without much name recognition. Word of mouth is key.

Advice to Management

Spend some money on promoting the brand outside of the core market.

2. "Annual Review"

Pros

Not pushy with sales
    Great Manager
    Promotes within
    Very secure
    Always growing
    Great Benefits

Cons

BB&T needs to improve their pay scales
    BB&T needs to update their technology. I.E. Online Banking, ATM and office machines