BB&T - Good but scary place to work | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BB&T

"Good but scary place to work"

Former Employee - Certified Senior Teller in Murray, KY
Former Employee - Certified Senior Teller in Murray, KY

I worked at BB&T part-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Work load is reasonable, easy to learn and cross-train. Loved getting to know clients. Very good benefits. My insurance for just me was free. I was actually paid $30 a month to have their insurance. A program called Life Force made that possible. I miss that more than anything else about the job. I made life-long friends there too, that's important.

Cons

Micro managing!!! Hated being told what to do from people in Louisville. Lately they have "eliminated positions" like nobody's business. Teller is the only stable position in the company. As a teller I felt like I knew all there was to know after about two years. Made me lax and uncommitted because there were no opportunities to advance.

Advice to Management

Visit branches more, stop micro managing. Call branches and ask opinions, it can't hurt. Give more than a piece of chocolate for a Christmas gift.

Other Employee Reviews for BB&T

1. "Rewarding experience as a teller."

Pros

Great employee benefits and work environment

Cons

Economic downturn has visibly affected the bank.

Advice to Management

Don't lose sight of the ethical vision of past CEOs

"Dont waste your good years investing in a company that does not value or care about their people."

I have been working at BB&T full-time

Pros

You have a JOB, NOTE* not career.You are employed and are receiving income to take care of your family. There are worse jobs.

Cons

Old school ways of managing,promoting,rewarding and retaining employees. NO diversity represented in executive management. Does not value women or minorities. The pay is not competitive and there is no work life balance. The managers all support one another even in their wrong and does not value or encourage open communication and does not value opinions that may differ from the majority. The company is run like a good old boy fraternity. Education is not valued or encouraged, regardless of education or experience individuals are rewarded for who they know.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your competition and place more value on your people. Encourage growth and support it. Hold your managers accountable for mentoring and supporting growth opportunites in education and in career advacement. Value opinions that might differ from the norm. Do not allow manager to bully people into coming in while they are sick. Create a culture that values diversity and promotes growth and education.