BBVA Compass - great learning exp | Glassdoor

"great learning exp"

Current Employee - Senior Financial Sales Advisor in San Diego, CA
Current Employee - Senior Financial Sales Advisor in San Diego, CA

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

they have a universal banker philosophy so the bankers are forced to learn allot about all aspects of retail lending. Credit cards, Home equity loans and Mortgages. If you are smart enough to get your security license they will promote you to a senior FSA and you can sell everything from Mutual funds to Long term care.

Cons

They want you to be a universal banker but they don't want to pay you for it. Bonuses are capped and they have you refer mortgage and business loans to officers that make ten times what you make while you do all their work for them. Put in 3-4 extremely good years here and you can have that job but in the mean time have fun with rice for dinner.
    The computers simply don't work. They are rolling out a new core system upgrade and it has been a slow process.

Advice to Management

They know

Other Employee Reviews for BBVA Compass

"Most unethical company I've ever worked for and management is awful!"

Current Employee - Financial Sales Advisor II in Tucson, AZ
    Current Employee - Financial Sales Advisor II in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

I started at an OK salary because of my experience. No Saturdays.

Cons

This is going to be a long one but I'll start in chronological order:

When I was offered the job, I was told I would be licensed right away and would get paid an even higher salary upon licensing. I left my manager position at another bank to take a banker job because they made it sound like it would be totally worth it and I would get paid more. Once I started, the district manager said, "let's see how you do for 6 mos - 1 year and we will re-visit the licensing." So basically the recruiter told me whatever I wanted to hear so she could make her quick buck.

The next issue I had was training. The company was in the process of merging one system to another. Not only did I have to train on the old system, but I had to do another training at the same time for the new system. (which are both equally unreliable, slow and crash all the time!) Throughout both trainings, I learned how to open an account. That's it. And even the knowledge I did gain from the training, my manager would tell me I was doing it wrong. I basically had to teach myself how to do EVERYTHING with little to no support. Anytime I would ask for help, I would be treated like I was wasting my manager's time, that I was stupid, or "how dare you!!"

The internet was slower than molasses, and I swear it was Windows '98! The systems would crash on a weekly basis, including the phones. Since this job was 90% outbound cold calling, when the phones wouldn't work, my manager would try to force me to use my PERSONAL cell phone to make sales calls. I refused because I wasn't comfortable using my personal number to handle business and my boss would roll her eyes and tell me I'm not a team player and I OBVIOUSLY don't care about the banks success.

Last, but most certainly not least, their oh-so ethical attendance policy. Sure, it may seem very reasonable and ideal but it's not. Don't let it fool you. My manager insisted I go home because I was too sick to be at work on 3 different occasions and I got written up EACH TIME!! When I tried to fight it, the response I got was "technically, it's unscheduled....." and HR confirmed that my manager could potentially send me home enough times to terminate my employment for excessive absence. Seems fair, right?!?! WRONG!!! If you decide to work for this company, lawyer up first because if you aren't one of the favorites, you are doomed!

-Soon to be FORMER employee

Advice to Management

Train your employees. Quit playing favorites. Revise the write up/attendence policy. Quit making promises that you can't/won't deliver. Promote from within, stop hiring externals for higher positions. Quit being so cheap and upgrade your internet and computers. (Say it with me: CABLE INTERNET! Nobody uses dial up anymore!)

2. "I really enjoy my job at Compass"

Current Employee - Commercial Underwriter in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Commercial Underwriter in Houston, TX

I have been working at BBVA Compass full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Family/Work Balance, understanding management and ability to move into different jobs within the company. The company is also working to make the company one of the best companies to work for.

Cons

Computer systems, while new are still behind the industry. Sometimes too focused on what's on a report rather than whether or not it makes sense to continue to do things a certain way. Cumbersome procedures.