BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS - Terrible place to work! | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS

"Terrible place to work!"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

Pros

Good place to work for if you want publications. People working there are generally knowledgeable about what they do and willing to help.

Cons

There is no office culture. They really don't pay their staff very well. Place is very hierarchical, if you don't have advanced degree, there is no room for advancement

Advice to Management

I don't think they ever thought of good office ambiance, probably don't even know what that is! Management is incompetent, maybe some new blood might help?

Other Employee Reviews for BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS

1. "Get experience and move on"

Current Employee - Statistician in Vancouver, BC (Canada)
    Current Employee - Statistician in Vancouver, BC (Canada)

I have been working at BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Good academic environment for entry level jobs, with unique research data. Co-workers are nice and wiling to help each other.

Cons

No career grow path at all without a PhD. Low salary and without any annul raise (makes no sense considering the inflation rate).

Advice to Management

I think real passionate and hard-working people will be disappointed and move on. You need better management to keep your people.

"Project manager"

I worked at BC Centre for Excellence in HIV/AIDS full-time

Pros

If you're wanting to do a Master's or PhD you'll get the academic support to do it quickly and with the help of statisticians, etc.

Cons

Caring, high-acheiving people are worked hard - with little to no respect for their time, mental health, or career prospects. I saw multiple people then be suddenly dropped, whenever convenient for the organization. Pay is low. Little communication between lower level staff and high level admins making the decisions, and no managers in between. People often work without any support. Company culture is one of bullying, patronization (for example, students and employees were told to eat lunch at our desks rather than with colleagues, and told our kitchenette area "would be taken away" if we couldn't keep it perfectly clean) and encourages isolation.

Advice to Management

Please treat your students and staff with respect! You'd have less turnover if you actually made a workplace where people felt safe and valued.