BC Ferries - Some good people in this shop | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BC Ferries

"Some good people in this shop"

Current Employee - Software Developer in Victoria, BC (Canada)
Current Employee - Software Developer in Victoria, BC (Canada)

Pros

If you're looking for a stable job, this is the place for you. There is a move within the IT department to move to fairly contemporary technologies (SOA, ESB, BPEL, etc). So, good experience is possible to get.

Management is well intentioned to improve development processes, products, and services to customers.

Cons

This is an Oracle heavy shop. If you don't like using Oracle products and tools, this is not the shop for you. This shop has a bit of a cowboy legacy which management is slowly trying to replace with more formal processes (allocating appropriate development and testing environments).

Advice to Management

Listen a little more to your people in the trenches when it comes to schedules, technological decisions, etc. (This is pretty typical for most big corporations).

Other Employee Reviews for BC Ferries

1. "BC Ferries"

Pros

good wage, good training especially in safety

Cons

micro managed by to many supervisors with to little to do other than harass their staff.

Advice to Management

Know how to work and manage people.

2. "Awesome"

Former Employee - CSA
    Former Employee - CSA

I worked at BC Ferries full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Hard work but good pay. Majority of the other staff are very easy to work with and get along great. Lots of good training. A very enjoyable job! Lots of room to move up in the company now, many people are retiring.

Cons

The MAJOR downside is how disrespectful majority of the customers are to you. All of my experience falls into the customer service category but never have I experienced how disrespectful people are towards ferry workers. There's such a stigma around them. We train hard and if there are serious problems that endanger you, we know how to save you, that is why we are paid so highly so don't take that for granted.