BCBG - Better than most retail experiences | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BCBG

"Better than most retail experiences"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at BCBG part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Very good clothing discounts! My fellow employees (most) are pleasant and easy going. We all love fashion and make work fun. Helping clients spend money is just like being a personal shopper, which is fun as well. Not too many dull or boring moments.

Cons

The world is retail is unpredictable, which means moody customers. You work a lot more than for what you are compensated.

Other Employee Reviews for BCBG

"Sales Associate"

Current Employee - Sales Associate

I have been working at BCBG part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Clientelle experience, employee discount, personal one on one service

Cons

Hours and scheduling, slow upward mobility, unorganized management

Advice to Management

Get to know your employees, because when there is an opportunity for advancement, you wont have to look outside the company for employees. Some employees have the experience you need.

"Roller coaster ride of passive-aggresiveness"

Former Employee - Assistant Manager
    Former Employee - Assistant Manager

I worked at BCBG full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The discount (for management) , the clothing, styling women (my passion), having a client book, building clientele, a phenomenal product knowledge guide, earning commission and gift certificate perks. I looked forward to going over product knowledge every morning with my stylist during fit sessions. Having repeating clientele because you are great at what you do!

Cons

Where do I start??? I really wish I could give BCBG 3, 4, or even 5 stars, but the way this company was ran was hardly a 2.

- In my experience this company manages out of fear. 1st DM I had was a nightmare and spoke down to her management team and stylist. If the DM was ever upset with SM, the SM copped an attitude with me or the other assistant. SM went off on the other AM and I in the store and a customer approached us telling us "how unprofessional she was and this kind of behavior should be taken off of the sales floor", obviously. Upper management was very disheartening. It was blame, anger, blame, anger, disappointment all across the board. You could never please them. Cattiness through all levels of management. Did I really graduate college to return straight back to high school drama? This environment was comparable to neglected children vying for the attention of the narcissistic parents. It's a losing and exhausting battle.
    - The disorganization of the company can be described in two words "hot mess". The stockroom and how floorset were ran was just ridiculous. We had so much product in our store to be expected to get that all done on a Sunday night was asinine. We'd have to leave our stockroom not markdown and mark it down as we put the product out on the floor (we were a newer remodeled store...huge). There should also be allotted hours for floorset. This cuts into sales girls potential to earn commission if they have to spend their hours doing a floorset instead of selling. The floorset directive and markdown books weren't always accurate and occasionally we'd receive a new one via mailpack after the floorset was suppose to be completed.
    - Management competing with employees for clients/sales and lack of management team work. I have worked with wonderful management teams in the past, but this was a very independent environment. Everyone was worried about themselves and our stylist door was constantly revolving, which sadden me because I love working with great teams and watching my associates grow.
    - outdated computer system
    -supplies order were put on hold. I went a full year with a store that had half of the lights burned out. Customers took note, but there was nothing we could do.
    - Need more associates for day coverage, but hours never allotted. It's usual just a manager and sales associate for the first 5 hours of the day. This could be a potential red zone for shoplifters. My Loss Prevention Manager even took note of it one day and said "You need more staff here". I hoped that was a wake up call to upper management, but nothing was done about it by the time I left.
    -DM wanted us to process shipment in front of the sales door so we could greet. I thought it was an absolutely absurd idea to have uncensored merchandise 10 feet away from the door.

Advice to Management

Take advice from a well structured public company and learn how to run the operational side of the business. If it means you have to take a pay cut Max, so be it. If you establish a strong board of directives and keep your employees happy, you will see your business continue to boom, less turn over, and overall happy employees. Listen to your lower level management who are the heart and soul of the company, and who's past experiences (from highly structured companies) may be some insight for your growth. You walk around like elitist, but you're going to continue to lose phenomenal talent if you do not listen to their ideas and always presume your way is the right way. BCBG is high fashion, but a classy woman is friendly, smiles, is appealing, generous and assertive. A classy woman is a leader, not a boss. Upper management please remember, "Bon Chic, Bon Genre" doesn't stand for "Good Style, Bad Attitude".