BD - Great company to work for. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BD

"Great company to work for."

Current Employee - Director in Franklin Lakes, NJ
Current Employee - Director in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I have been working at BD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

The work environment and benefits.

Cons

Sometimes hard to advance based on tenure of executives.

Advice to Management

None

Other Employee Reviews for BD

"Frustratingly risk averse company with diminished health benefits."

Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sandy, UT
    Current Employee - Senior Engineer in Sandy, UT

I have been working at BD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good place to receive technical training, and work-life balance is pretty good depending on where you are. I have worked at several locations across the country and can tell you to avoid the plants. They can be quite miserable places unless you are in a leadership role. If you are in a non-production support role, then the work-life balance is good.

Cons

Benefits are OK, but the healthcare benefits have gotten really bad over the last couple of years. the prescription drug coverage essentially requires generic drugs be used. If you must have a brand name, you'll pay for it through the nose.

Salaries are also pretty low, as management sees it as a "privilege" for you to even work here. Also, there is not a lot of calibration between areas for high/low performers. For example, one area or department's worst engineer may be equal to the best in another department (or vice versa). HR will require the former to be disciplined and the latter to receive a pay raise. This drives many engineers and techs to flee growing and dynamic work areas to go to stable, easy departments.

Professionals at the company take either a technical path that is a dead end, or a management path that pays well, but is pretty exclusive. There is little reason to stay at this company once you make it to a Sr. or Sr. Staff engineering level. There is a ceiling at that point for technical staff because management won't promote beyond that because the pay approaches theirs.

Advice to Management

Give HR some push-back and stand up for what's right and pay your employees better or you will continue to bleed talent.
    There also needs to be a fearless culture of change. Managers (especially Quality managers) are afraid to let anything change because their neck will be on the line. Even perceived failure is not allowed. Top leadership talks like they want this culture, but there's no incentive to be entrepreneurial and creative.

2. "BD's mission statement is what it's all about at the end of the day!"

Former Employee - Finance in Franklin Lakes, NJ
    Former Employee - Finance in Franklin Lakes, NJ

I worked at BD full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

One of BD's most rewarding experiences with BD has been the opportunity to attend BD University classes and have the opportunity to grow within your department or organization. Growing and developing people in this changing BD world is not easy due to the current workload each associate has to contend with. I love BD and it's in my blood!

Cons

People, mission statement and job opportunities are what BD has bragging rights on. BD is very selective and I have noticied that personality is one of the top ingredients while interviewing.

Advice to Management

Due to the opening of the New Shared Services Center in San Antonio, this venture was kept on the down low (understandbly so), however if I had to put myself in senior management's shoes, I would have resigned. There were and still are so many other avenues by which BD could have cut costs.