BJ's Restaurants - growing company with many positive attributes | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BJ's Restaurants

"growing company with many positive attributes"

Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA
Current Employee - Manager in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

growing, well known, great menu, great locations, great prospects, rewards hard work

Cons

growing so fast and has so much going on that the job is taking over the balance that was there in life

Other Employee Reviews for BJ's Restaurants

1. "Make great money at BJ's Brewhouse!"

Current Employee - Server in Austin, TX
    Current Employee - Server in Austin, TX

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

the money is pretty awesome!

Cons

some of the steps of service are a little tedious. GSS are annoying!

Advice to Management

just be consistent among all managers!

"Your training can get you fired by mystery shopper"

Former Employee - Server in San Antonio, TX
    Former Employee - Server in San Antonio, TX

I worked at BJ's Restaurants full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Management was laid back and fun. Team work was the best I've worked with in any restaurant.

Cons

I was trained to inform the guest of calorie changes when a substitution is made on the "enlightened" dishes. I did this and accidently insulted this guest who turned out to be a mystery shopper. In turn, she lied on her review (I believe to get back at me thinking I would just get written up or something) and I got fired. Granted, I did not ask, "Have you made your selections," but I did not do that because she already told me she wanted a few minutes to look at the menu. I was also trained to offer the hand crafted rootbeer if we weren't going to offer an alcoholic beverage (this was our judgment based on time of day, etc.) I did this and got points taken off. She said I didn't offer an appetizer or dessert and the plates were still on her table when she was ready to leave. She took two bites of her dish and asked for a box. The plates were taken off when she was done boxing up her food, but I still got points taken off. She kept me at her table for extended periods of time interfering with the quality of service for my other tables. They aren't supposed to interfere with the service. Because this mystery shopper was having a bad day and what I was trained to do was actually wrong, I am now a single mom without a job to support my daughter and have no idea what I am going to do to pay for daycare and rent in a couple of weeks.

Advice to Management

Take a closer look at why a mystery shopper may have given a server a low score and don't fire them after one bad shop. In the previous weeks, I had 3 or 4 tables ask to speak to a manager to tell them how great my service was and they would be coming back to ask for me. I wish the managers could have taken this into account. If a table informs me that they would like a few minutes, I am not going to ask, "Have you made your selections" because it makes me seem like I'm ignoring them and trying to rush them. The quality of service should not be based on whether or not we ask, "Have you made your selections" but rather the experience the guest has while there and how they feel when they leave.