BJ's Restaurants - Overall, still a great company. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BJ's Restaurants

"Overall, still a great company."

Former Employee - Bartender in Arlington, TX
Former Employee - Bartender in Arlington, TX

I worked at BJ's Restaurants full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Lots of money to be made. All the managers I came into contact with were very helpful and caring.

Cons

Constantly evolving company due to its rapid expansion may not excite those wanting an easy serving position. Unless you are in a developing market it can be hard to move into management.

Other Employee Reviews for BJ's Restaurants

"If you're working for this company, know that they will fire you in a heartbeat."

Former Employee - Bartender in Century City, CA
    Former Employee - Bartender in Century City, CA

I worked at BJ's Restaurants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very flexible with scheduling and great with transfers. I started as a server in a San Diego based restaurant. Then transferred to a Los Angeles based restaurant. Both environments were very accommodating with scheduling and seemed to offer room for advancement. Quickly got promoted to bartender once I proved myself in Los Angeles. Our initial GM was fired for numerous fraudulent activities and was replace by a guy who we all thought (and some still do) is a stand-up guy.

Cons

Every single manager is two faced. I have worked in many restaurants and this one wins by a land-slide. On numerous occasions I would have managers telling me that they "have my back" and when push comes to shove, don't at all. Servers are treated like crap on a daily basis. Asking a manager for something is basically asking for a write-up. Their mind is set 100% on their bonuses which are directly controlled by the shopper score we receive every month. Even though I was there for almost two years straight, one minor slip up (I was fired for not replacing a guests tab fast enough) and they turn on you.

Advice to Management

Try having a little bit of loyalty to your employees. Actually care about how they perform on a day to day basis. Reward the people who work hard, instead of giving "Reliability" stars out to people who come in to work when they are sick.

"My experience in the San Antonio Area."

Current Employee - Take Out Server in San Antonio, TX
    Current Employee - Take Out Server in San Antonio, TX

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time (More than a year)

Pros

Most of the co-workers feel like family. Easy training program. Some days, the tips can be amazing and worth working with some knowledgeable managers.

Cons

Management leave MUCH to be desired. They seem to enjoy taking out their frustrations out on their employees. Do no expect an apology either.

Advice to Management

Please train your management to actually CARE about their employees. Yes, this maybe be just a paycheck to them, but for us employees, this is our job.