BJ's Restaurants - BJ's Restaurant | Glassdoor

"BJ's Restaurant"

Current Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA
Current Employee - Manager in San Jose, CA

Pros

It is a company that does a lot of great things in the communities that it operates and you do feel really proud to work there. Senior management is excellent and there are a lot of resources and people to reach out to if you have questions or concerns with just about anything. The restaurant is high volume so you definitely stay very busy and the people you work with are great too. I have really only had one bad experience with collegues and or upper management and for the most part the senior leadership is very competent.

Cons

The befefits package is horrible and the bonuses when you first start at the manager level are weighted towards customer surveys. So even though you are directed to always drive sales the reality is you can be a financially succesfull restaurant but you may not see a great bonus. Also, the bonus structure has the management at the top in a constant struggle with the people at the bottom as far as staffing needs and other issues that effect financials because the top bonus more off of the bottom line. Expect to work about 60 hours a week and work from home as well to finish administrative tasks that you are not given time to finish while at work. There is also a disconnect between senior leadership and the operations level as far as company culture and living the culture. BJ's has a great mission statement and excellent senior leadership but more often then not you feel as though your voice is not heard. Creativity and innovation are not what seems to be valued. We often say that we want to be a top 100 places to work but i don't believe that the environment can produce that. 60 hour work weeks, working from home, very little vacation pay, only 4-5 sick day a year, etc., etc.

Advice to Management

It can be a great place to work but you definitely need to have thick skin. For every time you are recognizd for doing something well you are told how horrible ten other things are. It is a good company that is trying to be great but I just don't think we know how to get there.

Other Employee Reviews for BJ's Restaurants

1. "Delivery Driver"

Former Employee - Driver in San Jose, CA
    Former Employee - Driver in San Jose, CA

Pros

Good pay for delivery drivers if you consider that you hardly do any deliveries but when you do you get 10% of the bill and tip

Cons

You end up working extra 15 mins you don't get paid for every shift. People were hired on looks rather than actual ability.

Advice to Management

Make sure servers tip down, especially those that are incompetent and have their work done by other employers such as drivers.

2. "Great job while going to school."

Current Employee - Server in Vacaville, CA
    Current Employee - Server in Vacaville, CA

Pros

It is one of the busiest restaurants in the area. Since I am a server, this is helpful because I am able to go home with a good amount of money in tips after my shifts. The shifts are fairly short compared to other jobs earning the same amount of money. I do not think I have ever worked a full eight hour shift as a server once. I can clock in and be out in five hours and make twice as much as someone working eight hours at a job paying double the minimum wage. Plus...I work with a lot of beautiful girls.

Cons

The hours can get somewhat annoying. The day shifts usually start around eleven am. This is not very early, and it is also not late enough to get much done before a shift. By the time you get off, the day is over and just have the night to look forward to. The night shifts get annoying because they start around four pm. Again, the timing of the shifts stops me from making plans during the day. It seems as though I am sitting around waiting for my shift. I am really picky about the timing because I am a full time student and free time is scarce to me...Hence the complaining about not being able to do things on days I am scheduled to work.

Advice to Management

The servers are able to keep their composure in front of a table no matter what is going on, there is no reason management cannot do this while managing.