BJ's Restaurants - It has it's moments. | Glassdoor

"It has it's moments."

Current Employee - Server in Tucson, AZ
Current Employee - Server in Tucson, AZ

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great money for the hours as a server. I've been there 4 years. Cooks work extra hard because of the high volume but they can advance and get raises with every section of the line they learn. It's a very busy place. My store only promotes from within but it's easy to advance if you work hard. My GM is very "by the book" and runs a tight ship. The other managers are nice and helpful and really care about the Guest's experience as well as ours.

Cons

It's VERY high volume. Be prepared to sweat. It's hard, physical work and you are dealing with the public. You have to be nice so this isn't for everybody. The server's hourly wage in most states is LAME!

Advice to Management

Thanks for doing away with the Secret Shoppers!!

Other Employee Reviews for BJ's Restaurants

"It's a decent job"

Current Employee - Host in Orlando, FL
    Current Employee - Host in Orlando, FL

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants part-time (Less than a year)

Pros

If you want to work your way up to serving this is a good place to start. Try starting as a food runner or take out, but host if you have to.

Cons

Very cutthroat. Hours are not guaranteed (especially for hosts) if business is slow we get cut early.

Advice to Management

They have a helpful training workbook but the hosts who trained me didn't really help at all.

"Great Growth and Salary Potential, Hard Work/Life Balance"

Current Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Manager in Seattle, WA

I have been working at BJ's Restaurants full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Salary + Bonus is great, as well as health benefits, 401K, etc. GM's can top 100K including bonus if they stick around long enough. Lots of corporate structure to support and guide you, you always know exactly what is expected of you.

Cons

If you have a GM that is hard to communicate with it can make it difficult to get certain days off or have a positive work environment. BJ's also expects a lot of work hours from managers, and holidays are blacked out for vacation, so you'll never get to see your family during those important times of the year.

Advice to Management

Find a way to have a rotation system so that you can earn your way to eventually taking time off during Christmas/Thanksgiving.