BMO Harris Bank - Opportunity for improvement | Glassdoor

"Opportunity for improvement"

Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant I in Chicago, IL
Former Employee - Senior Administrative Assistant I in Chicago, IL

I worked at BMO Harris Bank full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While the pay is average and nothing to get excited about, the benefits are quite generous. There is a strong customer focus. I was impressed by the friendly culture. There are opportunities for personal growth if you choose to pursue them. It was surprising how many 10 year plus employees there were.

Cons

The company is very siloed and, while there is a sense of team, it doesn't seem to go beyond your own work unit. With regard to all the employees who have been there for a decade or more - in some cases, that's a problem rather than an asset.

Other Employee Reviews for BMO Harris Bank

"SALES"

Former Employee - Universal Banker in Port Washington, WI
    Former Employee - Universal Banker in Port Washington, WI

I worked at BMO Harris Bank full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

BMO as a company has pretty competitive accounts and good training. There's plenty of help when you need it. My coworkers, for the most part, were pretty nice except when it came to sales and the enormous pressure we all felt (as tellers and bankers) too meet goals.

Cons

Unrealistic sales goals, micromanagement, cold calls. For a small town branch with 2 other bankers my goals were completely unrealistic and absurd. We were required to have meetings with our branch manager about how we were going to complete our goals for the day (morning), what we achieved and how to make the goals (lunch), and what we achieved during the day and what our goals and plan was for the next day (evening). I also hated having to make weekly sales calls from 5-6pm...right during the dinner hour when people are not happy to get a cold call from a bank. We were also not supposed to discuss anything in particular with the customer, just get them into the branch with an appointment. I loved my branch manager because she had come from a small town bank like myself and showed sympathy for me not continuously making my goals and struggling with cold calls but I could tell she was getting pressure to pressure us bankers from higher up.

Advice to Management

Allow employees their own room to manage their time and to make their goals. Consider branch traffic in making goals and whether new customers are continuously streaming in or if it is the same several people every day.

"Retail is retail"

Current Employee - Service Representative in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Service Representative in Chicago, IL

I have been working at BMO Harris Bank part-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

engaging with customers creates opportunities for networking; part-time offers medical, dental and vision benefits, as well as 401K; pay is decent

Cons

as in most retail settings there are career hourly employees, this proves to be disheartening and brings morale down; middle and upper management have unrealistic goals set; customer satisfaction is less and less of a priority, hence leaving customers for the hourly employees to deal with, rather than the highly paid executives that make the decisions that directly effect clients

Advice to Management

Take the time to read the watercooler comments