BNSF Railway - sounds like fun but, if you love your wife or your family keep looking for a better job and a better life | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BNSF Railway

"sounds like fun but, if you love your wife or your family keep looking for a better job and a better life"

Current Employee - Conductor in Thayer, MO
Current Employee - Conductor in Thayer, MO

Pros

Easy work and good pay if you live in a small town like me. you can go to work take a train to the away from home terminal and back and sometimes not even see a boss.

Cons

no family life. You think that you can manage but after a while you just cant keep up. you give up all the things you love one by one. you have no schedule and can't make plans because you are on call 24 7. and if you can live with that you should be ok.... until they lay you off without warning. I have been laid off and had to travel to keep a job with them. I have worked out of 16 different depots in the last 7 years and still don't know for sure where I will be a week from know.

Advice to Management

start to care about people. not just stockholders but the employees and their family as well. there is plenty of room to treat us well and still make profits hand over fist. The lack of a good lineup or schedule has cost me everything I love to do with my family, church, school, and recreation ant those things are the primary reason to have a good job.

Other Employee Reviews for BNSF Railway

1. "it was a very uncomfortable place to work"

Current Employee - Rail Clerk in Topeka, KS
    Current Employee - Rail Clerk in Topeka, KS

Pros

the pay is a above average, the medical benefits for union clerks is pretty good

Cons

there is no chance of advancement to management for clerks in topeka, the clerks that want to bid for other positions are denied. no diversity in topeka, its just a very uncomfortable place to work. Clerks are forced to work 16 hrs for several days at a time

Advice to Management

hire more competent management

2. "pretty good for the most part."

Current Employee - Signalman in Tri Cities, WA
    Current Employee - Signalman in Tri Cities, WA

Pros

The job is outdoors and pretty interesting.

Cons

We have no payed sick leave. There is always the threat of a investigation if you do something wrong, We did not have this threat even in the miltary. We have mangers who are in charge of people and jobs that they have no clue at all about but because they have a degree BNSF believes that they are more qual. to run the show. This is so far of base it's unreal.

Advice to Management

Put people in charge that know what there talking about and who have experience in the job not some college boy who came of the street that does'nt have clue about the job. You don't have to have a degree to manage people and get production, you need the knowledge of the job and real time lines to get it done. And leave people on task to the end quick jerking them all over the place to put out fires mangers think need put out.