BNY Mellon - Since the merger between BNY and Mellon the culture has disintegrated | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

There are newer employer reviews for BNY Mellon

"Since the merger between BNY and Mellon the culture has disintegrated"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Everett, MA
Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Everett, MA

Pros

Good work/life balance, flexibility, general amicability among peers and managers

Cons

Low ceiling on advancement opportunities unless you manage to schmooze your way into 'the club' by living near and hanging out with 'the club' outside of work. Also, promotions are given all too often according to time spent on the job regardless of performance resulting in less talented staff reaping the same reward as outstanding employees. Culture has become more 'in the box' since BNY started steering the ship - less enjoyable, less challenging, less quality in our products.

Advice to Management

Stop centralizing and proceduralizing everything to death!! We have brains - put them to use! Our clients appreciate it when we can collaborate with them to come up with custom solutions; you're tightening the reigns to the point of numbing. I used to love coming into work, and I used to have such pride in my company brand... after 15 years I'm looking elsewhere.

Other Employee Reviews for BNY Mellon

"Very unrewarding, totally team based operations with little to no motivation to strive toward accomplishing tasks faster"

Former Employee - Trade Specialist I in Pittsburgh, PA
    Former Employee - Trade Specialist I in Pittsburgh, PA

Pros

Good Job Security

Balance of Life/Work

Cons

I didn't graduate in Finance to process transactions on a computer all day. I could have done this job when I was 16.

If you feel like wasting your life away in front of a computer screen, trapped within your cubicle walls, TAKE THIS JOB!!!!!

IF YOU HAVE A BRAIN, dont even think about taking this job.

Advice to Management

Do away with Trade Processing spend some money on computer systems to present trades into the market.

All banks are failing due to America's service based economy and reliance on other countries production. Far too leveraged in Mortgages, let alone the Derivatives market. Inflating the dollar into worthless linen and cotton. You wont be driving your BMWs for long BNY Managers.

"Great place for a start in the field; however, not worth sticking around for any length of time"

Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Tacoma, WA
    Current Employee - Senior Analyst in Tacoma, WA

Pros

Good vacation - start with 3 weeks (4 weeks after 2yrs) plus 3 or 4 "personal days", most holidays off (follows NYSE schedule), telecommuting (allowed 1 day per week), flexible shifts (arrive between 6-9am and leave between 2:30-5:30pm). Managers are extrememly flexible around needing to leave early or arrive late for appointments and family matters.

Cons

Pay increases and bonus' are a joke. Limited to none for opportunity to work in other areas, despite what they say. Management plays very obvious "favorites" to the extent where promotions dont make a bit of sense. Starting salary tends to be decent; however, starting salary of new hires tends to be more than pay increases. High turnover. Retention of talent is extremely poor.

Advice to Management

Seek better long term stategies to retain talent. For example, use of stock options can aid this. Place better judgement in promotions. Ensure experienced analysts/associates are making more than new hires.