BNY Mellon - All or Nothing | Glassdoor

"All or Nothing"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Senior level responsibility, actively interacted with managers in other areas, had enough freedom to solve problems quickly and efficiently.

Cons

Managers are lifers, often there's nowhere to be promoted to unless you move to another unit. Long time employees are extremely integrated into the "old ways" of doing things - any upgrade on a system or move to a more efficient method was seen as a threat to their knowledge and seniority. 80% of the "best practices" have been in place for 10+ years.

Other Employee Reviews for BNY Mellon

1. "Toxic Environment"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

My paycheck never bounced. Good work life balance.

Cons

Poor managers - they coast along and do not manage, train or make any process improvements. They lack the desire and ability to address poorly performing employees and promote only their friends or co-workers they have known for years. The company is outsourcing more and more overseas. Zero or minimal raises since 2007 and do not pay promised bonuses.

Advice to Management

Have some pride and self respect and manage your teams and processes.

2. "DeadEnd Job - A job in the back office."

Former Employee - FSSA Specialist/Full Service Sub-accounting in King of Prussia, PA

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Working in the Back office can only have so many cons.
    1 - Brand Name. But from what I have heard on the street, everyone collectively hates BONY. And I can see why.
    2 - Good first job straight out of college. But dont stay here for over a year.
    3 - You do get to learn about stuff. And they have an internal library which has anything and everything related to Finance. No one will expect you to learn about anything but atleast you do have the resources available to you.
    4 - Interaction with broker-dealers and other institutions.
    5 - Health and other benefits

Cons

1 - Atrocious management - I was an analyst/specialist. My department of 20 off people had 3 separate 'Team Lead'. Then we all had a manager (who really became the manager after spending 20 years there. I dont have a problem with that at all apart from the fact that she would ask me questions which I learned in my first month). And this manager had a Director. And then this director had another boss. All this in one location.

2 - Very hard to move - They will tell you how the business is growing and how there's lot more opportunity. Let me break down that lingo. Business growing does not equate to an increase in your paycheck or a promotion. It simply means more work.

3 - Your peers - I made some amazing friends there but 80% of the people there are just high school graduates (and nothing against being just a HS grad). But if you are looking for a dynamic place to work where you are surrounded by motivated people, this is NOT the place for that. Atleast in the back office.

4 - Pay - BONY is notoriously known to pay less than StateSt. etc. After first year, pay went up 1.5%. Forget a bonus and a promotion. Second year, it increased .6 % (yes, I have proof of that). I wanted to give the money back to them. And I was not alone.

5 - No reward for talent. At all.

Honestly - if you are looking for a very relaxed, 9-5 processing job at a finance firm, This is it. Then you will LOVE this place. But if you wanna move up the ranks, and be accountable. then please look some place else.

Advice to Management

Dont write up a guy who comes in 5 - 10 min late from lunch every now and then. Write up the 'Team Lead' who sleeps every week on his desk. But then again, why would management do anything about it when they know less than the team lead.