BNY Mellon - Incredibly nice coworkers. Learned a lot during my 2 months there. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BNY Mellon

"Incredibly nice coworkers. Learned a lot during my 2 months there."

Former Intern - Summer High-school Intern in Boston, MA
Former Intern - Summer High-school Intern in Boston, MA

I worked at BNY Mellon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Friendly and very easy going supervisors

Cons

Programs needed for work don't work right away.

Other Employee Reviews for BNY Mellon

"Avoid fund accounting if at all possible"

Former Employee - Investment/Mutual Fund Accountant in Valley Forge, PA
    Former Employee - Investment/Mutual Fund Accountant in Valley Forge, PA

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

I got to gain some experience in an area of accounting. I had a lot of nice co-workers and supervisors.

Cons

The job can be very stressful at times due to the daily deadlines. The pay is lousy for a job that requires a college degree and doesn’t reflect the stress level of the job. There is also no bonus. Ever. The company’s idea of employee appreciation is to provide a free hamburger at an annual summer cookout for lunch. The work load is distributed unevenly so that some employees get to come in late and leave early every day, while others suffer from burnout by constantly needing to work extra hours unpaid. The initial training class for new hires is very inadequate. Employees are forced to learn many things as they go along causing even more stress especially because of the constant time pressure. Employees are required to take a 2 week in a row block of vacation time every year, which is inconvenient for most employees who like more flexibility. This is especially annoying for those who only get 3 weeks of total vacation time. Bottom line: working here really sucks if you’re stuck in fund accounting.

"Terrible pay and incentive policies driven by clueless executive team led to the mass exodus that is currently underway."

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Work-life balance, your peers are great to work with, 401k match is nice, large number of vacation days. The big reason people stay at the company is the 7.5 hour days. You rarely take work home with you and are able to have a good life outside of work - though you may not have any money to have fun outside of work.

Cons

terrible pay, high turnover (30%+ annually) and low engagement because of the terrible pay. most of the positions at the bank are low level / entry level processing jobs that are currently being moved to India. We are constantly told that we are still operating in "tough times" (read "no raises or bonuses") even if the company nets profit of a few billion.

The offices are dingy and gross- stained carpets, all grey and muted pastels... its really the most depressing and dated office I've been in. You'd think we were working in a 3rd world country in the 1980's, not class A office space at a Fortune 500 company. If you weren't depressed about your paycheck or high deductible health plan, the physical office space will do it for ya...

Advice to Management

If you want to deliver excellence to clients, you need the best employees. Paying your workforce below average wages will only attract workers that are below average. The biggest threat that the company faces is that it is unable to retain top talent, which is driven by terrible pay and incentives.