BNY Mellon - Company going donwhill - hostile work environment under CEO Gerald Hassell | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BNY Mellon

"Company going donwhill - hostile work environment under CEO Gerald Hassell"

Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I have been working at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

BNY Mellon was previously a fantastic company with strong values and a true client service focused atmosphere. I was proud to work here. Line managers allow you to take on many special projects so that you can grow both personally and professionally. Flexible work arrangements here are second to none.

Cons

The company has changed dramatically over the past year and more specifically since CEO Gerald Hassell took over for Bob Kelly. While cost cutting measures are critical to our stability and growth, employees are paying the price for expensive acquisitions that have not seen the ROI we expected. Employees have seen bonuses eliminated, Health Insurance benefits go downhill, a freeze on raises, a freeze on even managers buying coffee and donuts at a meeting. Employees have to use their own personal laptop and cell phone and travel to meetings with no reimbursement. Job "restructuring" singling people out for demotion. This is the nightmare we heard about that was the culture at The Bank of New York and it is now being revisited.

Advice to Management

Pay attention to your number one asset which is the skill and knowledge base of your employees. You cannot keep chipping away at morale and expect the company to be successful.

Other Employee Reviews for BNY Mellon

1. "Not your typical bank"

Current Intern - Human Resources Intern in Pittsburgh, PA
    Current Intern - Human Resources Intern in Pittsburgh, PA

I have been working at BNY Mellon as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

The people are nice- hard to find in the finance industry.
    There is constant innovation
    A lot of opportunities to move and grow within the company
    Diverse culture

Cons

Pay isn't too great
    Still a cultural rift between legacy Mellon employees and legacy BNY employees

2. "Great co-workers and environment but started to change at the end of my tenure."

Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY
    Former Employee - Vice President in New York, NY

I worked at BNY Mellon full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Good compensation, great co-workers, excellent benefits. Opportunities for advancement. Friendly atmosphere. A feeling like we're all on the same team. Supervisors were encouraging and supportive.

Cons

Not as good a work-life balance as I would have thought; more weekend work/special projects than I anticipated. Difficult bureaucracy to navigate. Sometimes the directions of upper management were less than clear. Bonuses when available were on the low side. Things went downhill after the merger with Mellon Bank.