BP - Should have stayed | Glassdoor

"Should have stayed"

Former Intern - Commercial Analyst Summer Intern in Sunbury-on-Thames, England (UK)

I worked at BP as an intern (Less than a year)

Pros

Easy going culture, highly intelligent colleagues, lots of international roles, great facilities for work and things like its own sports club, out of town so avoid traffic. Salary rivals medium-level consultancies.

Cons

Being out of town, you can feel detached from friends in London, the company has perhaps more opportunities for science graduates than from other disciplines.

Advice to Management

Rigid two year promotion time frames can be too long.

Other Employee Reviews for BP

1. "BP is a huge and diverse company, there are thousands of different and varied careers."

Former Intern - Crude Oil Knowledge Analyst in London, England (UK)
    Former Intern - Crude Oil Knowledge Analyst in London, England (UK)

I worked at BP as an intern (More than a year)

Pros

Great training, supportive teams, opportunity to travel (business class), friendly workplace that is conducive to work. A wealth of knowledge from individuals who have worked for 10,20 or 30 years. As it is such a large company there is a vast array of careers to choose from, I worked in such a small part yet had contact with people from all over the world.

Cons

Reputational issues regarding the BP Oil spill. Monotomous workload. Workforce is markedly older, although it is thoroughly diverse. What I assume is the usual practice in large corporates, there were a lot of health & safety and awareness issues that weren't related to your job and appeared to be a waste of time not focusing on the tasks at hand.

Advice to Management

I found I used hundreds of differing IT systems with some being modern and user-friendly but predominantly they were laborious to use, strange formats and layouts, overcomplicated systems and weak IT support. The company could do with training all employees to become IT literate as I met many people who only knew basic use. And as a focus some of the training was very weak. The training is only as good as the teacher, so I believe it is important to hire the best teachers to produce a efficient workforce.

2. "Heavy on assurance and documentation but lots of bad habits exist"

Current Employee - Drilling Engineer in Port-of-Spain (Trinidad and Tobago)
    Current Employee - Drilling Engineer in Port-of-Spain (Trinidad and Tobago)

I have been working at BP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Salary is great, opportunities for a long career and working abroad

Cons

Lots of CYA, heavy on paperwork and assurance, pass the buck for many things including decision making, excessive amounts of meetings.

Advice to Management

Simplify things, make decisions faster and stick to them, reward the real workers and not the show-offs with fluff