BP - Excellent employer, excellent culture, meritocracy | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BP

"Excellent employer, excellent culture, meritocracy"

Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Athens (Greece)
Former Employee - Human Resources Manager in Athens (Greece)

I worked at BP full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Performance oriented
Benefits
Respect to employees
Meritocracy
I think that BP is a highly respectful employer that I would recommend to anyone who would like to work at an oil company

Cons

Advice to Management

Keep up the good work

Other Employee Reviews for BP

1. "Great company, work life balance"

Current Employee - Human Resources Senior Advisor in Luanda, Luanda (Angola)
    Current Employee - Human Resources Senior Advisor in Luanda, Luanda (Angola)

I have been working at BP full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

BP is a great company they treat people well and respect work life balance. Opportunities are opened to all who commit and demonstrate capability. The company focus on the full package rather than on base salary alone. They operate in many countries so there is opportunity for mobilisation, but it's not a guarantee.

Cons

It has been thru many changes lately in terms of structure but with the aim to make it a better and more efficient company. You will need to cope well with change and adapt in order to be successful.

Advice to Management

As an HR advisor my advise if for managers to work on developing their people skills and communication with their teams. Also continue to listen to peole via the employee surveys and opinion.

2. "Big company, big "opportunities"."

Current Employee - Technical Architect in London, England (UK)
    Current Employee - Technical Architect in London, England (UK)

I have been working at BP full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Potential for good work / life balance. Depending on senior and middle management, BP has the facilities to create a work environment that is healthy and which allows individuals to grow, add value to the business and progress their careers.

Cons

Large company bureaucracy can make affecting change cumbersome. Senior management can become out-of-touch with the real life issues on the "front". This requires a strong middle management layer to defend the business requirements and motivate their employees to ensure that over-arching strategies are not counterproductive.

Advice to Management

Empower employees to own their projects to increase engagement and build up an internal knowledge base. This is essential to avoid an "every man for himself" / expendable culture. Focusing too closely on the bottom line has led to an outsourcing model that does not promote the development and retention of talent within the organization. In the long run, a smaller team with a greater pool of knowledge could support the organization more efficiently and cost effectively.