BP - Little return on investment | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BP

"Little return on investment"

Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Houston, TX
Former Contractor - Business Analyst in Houston, TX

I worked at BP as a contractor (More than 5 years)

Pros

BP is a great company to add to your resume even given the events in the past. It has a great mixture of people who can offer many perspectives to any challenge. A really great place to network.

Cons

Employees and contractor/consultants are pretty much different factions on the Houston campus. In 5+ years of working in various business units I found that most of the contractor/consultants were far more capable than the full-time employees. While safety and process should always be considered first they are absolutely crippling when you try to execute a project. So much money is wasted on systems and processes, I've been involved in many projects to remedy data issues only to come back again and do it later.

Advice to Management

Streamline some processes, remove incapable managers (not just put them on a performance contract), allow people to perform work. BP will never advance among the majors because of it's internal issues and the lack of a single mandate across the US.

Other Employee Reviews for BP

"Some good things and some less than good things."

I worked at BP full-time

Pros

This is a true global organization. Everyday, you would tell that the culture reflects the diversity of its workforce. There are some really smart people here. Also, the focus on safety and doing things the right way is a testament to the organizational learning after the Gulf of Mexico incident.

Cons

It's surprising that they don't do a better job managing people. There are more average employees than you would expect at a company of this calibre. I could never tell if it was because certain managers/leaders ignored it, had no way of seeing it clearly, or were themselves mediocre. The end result was that there were employees who thought they were much better than they really were.

Advice to Management

Be courageous and reward your best talent, develop your average talent and cut your poor talent loose.

2. "Good"

Current Contractor - Land Consultant in Houston, TX
    Current Contractor - Land Consultant in Houston, TX

I have been working at BP as a contractor (More than a year)

Pros

No micro managing at bp

Cons

I have no complaints about bp