BP - A very good company, not perfect, but full of potential. | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BP

"A very good company, not perfect, but full of potential."

Current Employee - Training in Houston, TX
Current Employee - Training in Houston, TX

Pros

Good people. Professional atmosphere. Extremely environmentally and safety minded.
BP supervisors treat people fairly. I've not had the best experiences with HR, however. I generally view HR as evil. A lot of us do.

BP has great potential. We are at a pivotal period. The next 2 years will be very telling as to whether or not we can become the best, or merely remain a profitable company that continues to stand in the shadow of Shell and Exxon.

My hope is on Tony Hayward -- he has a hell of a task in front of him. I wish him the best.

Cons

Pay is a bit low compared to competitors. This is evidenced by a high turn-over rate in the last two years as many BP employees have gone to work for better paying oil companies.

We have a new CEO (on the corporate level) -- Tony Hayward. He is in a tough position, as BP stock has been seriously out-performed by Exxon and other competitors. Tony is big on making "every dollar count". This is good, but we've also witnessed some sweeping changes that seem to save money up front, but are costing us down the road.

Gain share (VPP) is now a forced ranking system. Every year, ten percent of all BP employees will be sh!t holed and receive absolutely no gain share or cost of living raise. I would love to know the Einstein that came up with this idea. If ten percent of your employees deserve nothing, then get rid of them!!! Don't make them disgruntled by keeping them on but humiliating them. One day, someone will go postal over this stupid policy.

Advice to Management

Stop the knee-jerk reaction. Yes CEO John Browne is gone, yes Tony Hayward is now at the reigns -- but too much change too fast is having some major downsides.

Ditch the stupid forced ranking where supervisors are required to select ten percent of their people, rate them (essentially) as losers, humiliate them, give them no reward or annual raise, but them keep them on board where their newly disgruntled attitude spreads like poison. It amazes me that someone in upper management thinks that this is a good idea.

Other Employee Reviews for BP

"Bad Upper management"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Houston, TX

Pros

Work Life Balance, they care about their employees, good not great compensation. Good 1st level leadership,. Overall good company, great company to start career and great company to finish career, not very good to spend your prime.

Cons

Horrible and worthless HR, extremely political and Bureaucratic, horrible upper level management, no direction or strategy. , emphasizes commercial roles instead of technology / engineering roles. You have a commercial person running an energy company that does not understand how oil and gas are produced. Wont pay their employees the market. Does not focus on technology, engineering, or innovation.

Advice to Management

Pay more and provide more opportunity for advancement or more people will leave than they have

2. "Company with potential but needs to clean house of so many layers of management who cannot make a decision"

Current Employee - Project Engineer in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Project Engineer in Chicago, IL

Pros

BP is a global company. If you are moble, you many opportunities around the world.

BP has a good compensation program.

Cons

A lot of red tape to get anything done.
    The company is very risk adverse after Texas City disaster.
    They do not do a good job at developing there people.
    Advancement is very tied to networking and who you know.

Advice to Management

Make employee developement a priority, not just a slogan.
    Too many levels of management.
    Nobody wants to make a decision. You need to reward more risk taking.