BRE Properties - Good Place to Grow, Learn, and Advance | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BRE Properties

"Good Place to Grow, Learn, and Advance"

Former Employee - Community Manager
Former Employee - Community Manager

I worked at BRE Properties full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

University within company with advancement programs, Innovative Culture/Philosophy

Cons

As a public company, there is a lot of pressure to meet and exceed goals (not necessarily a bad thing because it makes you better at what you do).

Advice to Management

Great executive team, especially the CEO who has the right attitude and outlook for the company, its employees and customers; however, not everyone in the company (including top management and those on the field) follow the culture closely.

Other Employee Reviews for BRE Properties

1. "Always behind the ball, Won't ever be number 1."

Former Employee - Community Manager in San Francisco, CA
    Former Employee - Community Manager in San Francisco, CA

I worked at BRE Properties full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Upper management seems somewhat willing to advance by having listening sessions. Overall they have a goal of being #1 in the multi family industry, however they historically have never performed. I had worked for a competitor previously, and didn't know much about BRE other than they weren't very engaged. Now I know why! Employees are scared to talk to executive management, and if you say something radical such as, "Maybe we shouldn't have spent $38,000 on aesthetic features rather than fixing customer's faulty shower valves, then we might have had better customer satisfaction". I got in a LOT of trouble for saying that.

They really don't care about their customers/tenants. I went to MONTHLY manager meetings, and customer service was rarely a topic. They really just care about making money, which is how they will get the #1 status in the industry. It is very sad. I don't think Connie Moore, CEO, is aware of what goes on at the property level. She seems nice, but her executives do whatever they heck they want.

Cons

BRE is very behind the times with technology and efficiency processes, I worked for a competitor previously, and most rollouts they came out with I had used years earlier. They even have their managers STILL take rent checks to the bank, wasting time and potentially closing the front doors.

Advice to Management

Stop being so cut throat and live up to your words of wanting to be a better company. Listen to your managers, be nice to your customers, don't gouge residnents with 20% increases, it is very insulting and not a good way to do business.

2. "Great vision and culture, but lack professional management to make it true"

Former Employee - Leasing Specialist in San Diego, CA
    Former Employee - Leasing Specialist in San Diego, CA

I worked at BRE Properties full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

The pay was great, benefits were good, co-workers (maintenance and 2nd community manager) were fun to work with, residents, CEO Connie Moore would send happy birthday e-mails and quarterly emails, she was also very personable and open to suggestions

Cons

favoritism among management, lack of professional management (lower, CM, ASM), too much stress due to management and work schedule: Sun-Off, Mon: 9-6, Tues: 9-6, Wed: off, Thurs: 10-7, Fri: 9-6, Sat: 9-6, walking on eggshells at work

Advice to Management

Stop favoritism and covering up the errors and complaints about the managers to corporate office. Listen to employess about how work life is affecting home life. Promote from within. Truly listen to employees needs and concerns and address the issue accordingly--- don't just hear them out to shut them up.