BT - engineer | Glassdoor

"engineer"

Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA
Former Employee - Senior Software Engineer in Santa Clara, CA

I worked at BT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

good benefits and work/life balance

Cons

the quicker you finish your project, the sooner you will be replaced by foreign contractors and you will be removed from your team or even from the company.

BT seems to me not a place where engineers are treated as family members but tools. avoid this company if you have other choices

Advice to Management

treat engineers like human beings

Other Employee Reviews for BT

1. "BT Global Services"

Current Employee - Consultant in Irving, TX
    Current Employee - Consultant in Irving, TX

I have been working at BT full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The company is struggling in the US market. Their focus is network and manged services. Generous vacation policy, In line with Europe in terms of vacation allowance. fixed line services in the UK performance consistency give BT a lot of financial flexibility to enter and grow market precense. Big focus in APAC region.

Cons

significant cost cutting. poor emphasis on customer services. low employee moral. US and Canada is stuggling. losing lots of talent.

Advice to Management

listen to employees. Decisions are coming from over seas wth no regard to customer impact.

2. "Great Benefits"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I worked at BT full-time

Pros

The Benefits are very good. it takes 10 years but you can work way up to 5 weeks vacation and 5 personal days.There are also a good number of company holidays. They also have a good array of medical, dental, etc.

Cons

It's a telco, this should make them technically astute. No, it's a telco. There is also not great teamwork across groups, even when there is an obvious customer service issue. If you get in the right group this not a big issue. I suppose this like most companies your group has alot to do with your satisfaction at work. In the US the groups are spread out and may never meet many of the people you work with. Expenses are kept under an excessively tight reign and foremost among these is travel expenses. I only saw one of my bosses who worked in another state three time over 2 1/2 years and that was only because he came in to lay people off. Buying basics such as office supplies could also mean jumping through hoops.