BT - Great learning working in BT | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for BT

"Great learning working in BT"

Current Employee - Problem and Capacity Management in Hortolândia (Brazil)
Current Employee - Problem and Capacity Management in Hortolândia (Brazil)

I have been working at BT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

nice environment, nice benefits, excellent life balance.

Cons

Courses, training and proof test are no longer approved.

Advice to Management

Opportunities must be given not only the people who are longer in the company, since the ability not to be measured by labor time, but by competence.

Other Employee Reviews for BT

"Frustrating and stressful"

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, England (UK)
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Ipswich, England (UK)

I worked at BT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

There's reasonable job security, and I worked with some decent people. You get free broadband. There is the possibility to learn a lot about telecommunications if you are in the right role. I had a good work-life balance, though I know others who didn't.

Cons

BT absolutely 'misled' me regarding what the job entailed, meaning I was left doing a job in which I wasn't interested and which didn't offer the development that I had been promised. Managers seemed to treat everyone as a numbered resource first and a person second, so felt they were completely within their rights to do so. Most of these managers seemed like decent people who were just used to the company working that way. I know other ex-BT employees who went through the same experience.

I know far too many people off work with stress, or just managing to cope with it. There seem to be several reasons for this including over-work and not being listened to. One colleague was working weekends to keep up with the workload, and was also asked on more than one occasion to do work while on leave.

BT is a very bureaucratic organisation with an enormous middle-management layer. It is also a technology company run by non-technical retail managers with little feel for technology, meaning that promising projects just peter out; there was a very large cut in the research budget/ department after one of the commercial arms made a large loss.

There is quite a significant "personality culture", meaning that who you know and how much you swagger seem to have more of an impact on progression than your ability to add value for the customer.

Advice to Management

Stop assuming that everything is best practice just because BT does it that way. When you say you want people to challenge, actually mean it.

2. "I worked at BT full-time for more than 4 yrs"

Former Employee - NMC in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)
    Former Employee - NMC in Dublin, Co. Dublin (Ireland)

I worked at BT full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Pros – Good atmosphere, good people to work with,

Cons

Cons – Some manager are really uncompetent and also use bully tactics.
    anus aater you know who you are.