Babies "R" Us - Not the best place I've worked, but not the worst | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Babies "R" Us

"Not the best place I've worked, but not the worst"

Current Employee - Furniture Supervisor
Current Employee - Furniture Supervisor

I have been working at Babies "R" Us full-time (More than a year)

Pros

In my particular store, community between employees is great. Running the furniture department isn't a particularly difficult position either, so its not an overly taxing job. It takes focus and awareness of your product and how to best utilize the lousy technology provided, but its not terribly difficult to master.

Cons

Technology is dramatically behind. There are huge gaps in getting help to fix problems (IT issues, lapses in the company giving a crap about their customer, etc). You end up being stared down by an irate customer on a regular basis because there are simply no answers and no one above store-level will help or can find answers for you. A large majority of your time is spent doing things other than what your department requires - think; spending large portions of your day on a register or covering another area because staffing is so thin. Budgets get cut CONSTANTLY. Do not expect to get regular hours if you are not hired into a full time position.

Advice to Management

Pay your supervisors appropriately. They don't make real wages. What happens when minimum goes up? The majority of your supervisors will only be making $2 an hour more than a part timer. UPDATE TECHNOLOGY, period. Too often are supervisors pulled in 1000 different directions - give them working technology, people to work in their department, and stop playing games with them. If a supervisor has spent their entire week emailing, calling and working within their department on issues that the store manager, district manager and numerous other people have not made any effort to help resolve, do not come in and pick apart the fact that a dresser was not dusted or a peg was not filled or a remedy ticket was not filed because some moron didn't send product. There is nothing we can do about it and just as likely, even if we DID have time to worry about such nonsense, there would still be no answers or resolution. Its the story of a supervisor's life. Stop the top-down berating. Happy employees = happy customers = more profits. Pissed off employees = pissed off customers = less profits. Pretty simple equation that TRU/BRU has yet to master.

Other Employee Reviews for Babies "R" Us

1. "Just Say No"

Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Denver, CO
    Former Employee - Department Supervisor in Denver, CO

I worked at Babies "R" Us full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Social environment, able to work on your own or with peers so it can be fun to make it what you want. If you aren't looking for a job that begins at 8am everyday-this is retail so your schedule changes all the time.

Cons

Obviously depending on location, staff, managers, etc: Inconsistent schedule that changes on a dime, the poorest training I've ever witnessed in my life (sink or swim mentality), micro-managing of the worst kind. My store was actually worse than high school with all of the rumors and childish banter.

Advice to Management

Know what is going on in your stores, actually listen to the people who work in them everyday. Before you promote someone to asst. manager, manager, district manager, RHRM, please do your homework...some of these people have no credentials other than they have worked with the company a long time...this doesn't mean they actually know anything or actually do their job effectively.

2. "Department Supervisor"

Current Employee - Department Supervisor in New York, NY
    Current Employee - Department Supervisor in New York, NY

I have been working at Babies "R" Us full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Flexible work hours for people who are in school, or families.

Cons

Lack of training from the senior management. The four years I've been employed there the moral has drastically fallen. Employees don't want to work there and it shows.

Advice to Management

Do a better job training employees with the correct tools, and trust your employees.