Bain & Company - Everything you'd expect it to be | Glassdoor

"Everything you'd expect it to be"

Current Employee - Consultant (First Year) in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for less than a year

Pros

The work is engaging and nearly everyone you work with is brilliant. Lots of effort put into personal development and growth. People really care about you, and the atmosphere is more collaborative than competitive.

Cons

Bain, like all consulting, has highly variable work. Sometimes it's very, very busy, other times it's not. The problem is that planning for it is very difficult. You can rarely commit to things outside of work more than 1-2 days in advance, if at all.

Advice to Management

Keep valuing people above everything else, it really shows.

Bain & Company2013-07-16
  1. "Great place to grow and learn"

Current Employee - Case Team Leader in Seattle, WA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 3 years

Pros

Love my colleagues, and have learned a ton

Cons

Hours are long and role requires travel, but not as bad as other consulting firms

Bain & Company2019-12-01

"Welcome to Bain"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time for more than 5 years

Pros

Welcome to Bain. I'm going to give you a problem that neither the CEO nor his entire management team could solve. And I'm probably going to give you lots of different opinions and imperfect data sources. And then I'll ask you to focus in on where the most value is and convince all those people with different opinions that you're right. But don't worry, I'm also going to give you a Bain team. Those associates... and consultants are going to be tenacious in coming up with creative approaches. Those managers and partners are going to knock down barriers for you, connect you where you need to be connected, guide, support, direct and re-direct you. The office support staff is going to fix your computer after you spilled coffee on it for the third time, find you the unfindable data source, and smile and hand you a baked good after you ask for help re-doing dozens of slides. You are empowered and accountable but you are not alone. And the best part is you can't fail. Because after all, what all those people are reinforcing is that a Bainie never lets another Bainie fail.

Cons

Here's how you know you've made it at Bain. The reward for doing a good job is getting a bigger, tougher problem next time. Meaning, you are always solving the easiest problem you will ever solve again. This takes a lot of resilience and active managing of self-expectations to remember that you are not actually getting worse, the problems are just getting harder. So my advice is to remember that. And then take... a second to realize that it would be a lot less fun if the reverse were true. And isn't that precisely why you wanted this job in the first place anyway? It sure was for me.

Advice to Management

Continue to find and promote the leadership that lives our operating principles.

Bain & Company2015-10-06

Discover more reviews about Bain & Company.