Bain & Company - Drive real changes to solve big problems, while learning a ton and having a clear career path | Glassdoor
Pros
Cons
  • "Work life balance (is a given in the industry)" (in 335 reviews)

• "Unpredictable schedule; Long hours; High expectations" (in 384 reviews)

Employee Review

Employee Review

"Drive real changes to solve big problems, while learning a ton and having a clear career path"

Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA
Current Employee - Manager in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

- Interesting, impactful work: There is rarely a boring day, much less a boring project. The problems we're solving are usually what's written in the WSJ about our client - big, complicated challenges, often challenges that are leading issues for that entire industry. And my clients regularly tell me (over many years now) that they would have missed huge opportunities or never driven the required changes successfully without our help.

- Continuous learning curve: The people above you really want you to be successful and offer a ton of valuable coaching and feedback. You are constantly improving yourself. And those skills will be valuable no matter where you go - you get really good, for example, at separating what matters from what does not, or at making difficult changes happen in complex organizations.

- Great people: You have incredibly smart and interesting collegues. Yet they're also collaborative, supportive, and relatively down to earth for folks with fancy degrees.

- Smoothly-functioning meritocracy: There's so much less office politics and similar nonsense that you experience at so many companies, even well-regarded ones. At Bain the people who deserve to get promoted get promoted, you get more responsibility as soon as you're ready, most everyone gets along well with each other, and the pay and benefits are consistent and generally very good.

Cons

- Lifestyle can be challenging: First the positive - there is more scope to manage your lifestyle than many people think. Once I've gotten comfortable in a role at a given level in Bain, I've found I can create great results for clients in 50-55 hours a week. However, when you first join or when you are shifting to a role with more responsibility, it's probably more like 70 until you learn how to do it right. And you can never completely avoid the travel, the unpredictable client requests, checking email regularly even when not working, etc. Client service can be a tough business and despite a lot of effort and good intention Bain hasn't cracked that nut yet. If you really enjoy this job, though, you CAN make it work - it's possible if not always easy.

Other Employee Reviews

Other Employee Reviews

1. "The ultimate post HBS business school"

Former Employee - Partner in Boston, LA
    Former Employee - Partner in Boston, LA

I worked at Bain & Company full-time (More than 8 years)

Pros

Understand how to develop and execute business strategy at the highest level
    Get as close to operating a company at the C Level as an advisor
    Confidence to solve the hardest business problems in the world
    Network of the next generation of business leaders

Cons

Not for anyone trying to balance their life
    Travel can be insane
    Starting to be more like McKinsey than the old Bain

Advice to Management

Prune the vines...only the strongest should remain
    Continue to take risks and be the innovator
    Always measure results and value period

"Great company"

Current Employee - Manager Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Smart People, lots of incentives, they do a great job to help you have a good work-life balance considering the hours that are worked.

Cons

It's not always stimulating in this position. Work comes in waves and more often than not, I'm not really excited about my work.

Discover more reviews about Bain & Company.