Bain & Company - Amazing PD, but inane work at the associate level | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Bain & Company

"Amazing PD, but inane work at the associate level"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA
Current Employee - Associate Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Extremely well run company where people really care about helping you develop professionally and even personally. The staffing managers are very thoughtful. It's just a great way to learn the best practices for analysis, slide-building, presentation, client engagement, business logic, and working in a team. That being said, it wasn't for me.

Cons

I enjoyed case interviews because that dealt with the high-level strategic thinking of consulting -- the answer of the case. Unfortunately, that's not the work you do as an associate consultant; your role is to execute perfectly. It was hard for me to work long hours or be on call, spending ~30% of my time doing quality control (I'm not a very detail-oriented person). They expect you to feel ownership and responsibility over your work stream, but you don't actually have much ownership (I'd say on my teams they encouraged me to speak up and take a 'first pass' at higher level work, but there were always lots of iterations based on small suggestions at each level).

Advice to Management

I was someone sold on social impact -- I heard about a Bain case team helping to found a charter school and was hooked -- and I became really demotivated when I started at Bain and realized that I'm not someone who can force myself to work really hard on projects I'm not passionate about. It's great that Bain encourages so much social impact, but I'd be really upfront with recruits that they should think through whether or not they will feel motivated and happy if they're working in industries they don't care about and doing only the execution work for the first 1-2 years.

Other Employee Reviews for Bain & Company

"Great place to start your career"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great culture, great people, fun place to work - 800 people showed up for our global soccer tournament in Dallas- how many companies would 40 Australians show up for a weekend soccer tournament in Dallas?
    Best job for people straight out of undergrad- really launches your career and gives you a broad business prospective
    Senior leadership take a vested interest in associates
    Lots of opportunities to do non-profit work including volunteering consulting teams
    Opportunity to transfer to another office in your 3rd year for six months

Cons

Strong face time culture, lots of variability in hours because of client service industry

Advice to Management

Continue work on sustainability- I think this drives better results for our clients since teams have to focus on the answer

"Great place to develop and have fun"

Current Employee - Associate Consultant in San Francisco, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Very supportive culture. Firm provides multiple resources for advice, professional development, and mentorship throughout your career.

High impact at every level of the organization. Each individual has the opportunity to contirbute to tangible results for our clients, local communities and colleagues in the office.

Cons

Work hours can be long and highly variable. Also compensation and promotion should be more merit based and flexible.

Advice to Management

Junior staff have great ideas and want to contribute to client results. Ask more of them and they will deliver!