Bain & Company - Welcome to Bain | Glassdoor

"Welcome to Bain"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Welcome to Bain. I'm going to give you a problem that neither the CEO nor his entire management team could solve. And I'm probably going to give you lots of different opinions and imperfect data sources. And then I'll ask you to focus in on where the most value is and convince all those people with different opinions that you're right. But don't worry, I'm also going to give you a Bain team. Those associates and consultants are going to be tenacious in coming up with creative approaches. Those managers and partners are going to knock down barriers for you, connect you where you need to be connected, guide, support, direct and re-direct you. The office support staff is going to fix your computer after you spilled coffee on it for the third time, find you the unfindable data source, and smile and hand you a baked good after you ask for help re-doing dozens of slides. You are empowered and accountable but you are not alone. And the best part is you can't fail. Because after all, what all those people are reinforcing is that a Bainie never lets another Bainie fail.

Cons

Here's how you know you've made it at Bain. The reward for doing a good job is getting a bigger, tougher problem next time. Meaning, you are always solving the easiest problem you will ever solve again. This takes a lot of resilience and active managing of self-expectations to remember that you are not actually getting worse, the problems are just getting harder. So my advice is to remember that. And then take a second to realize that it would be a lot less fun if the reverse were true. And isn't that precisely why you wanted this job in the first place anyway? It sure was for me.

Advice to Management

Continue to find and promote the leadership that lives our operating principles.

Bain & Company Response

Sep 27, 2016 – Director, Global Consultant Talent Management

You have captured the essence of what it means to work here! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Other Employee Reviews for Bain & Company

1. "Great place to work!"

Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Boston, MA
    Current Employee - Senior Associate Consultant in Boston, MA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 3 years)

Pros

Great colleagues, interesting work, prioritize developing their people, and fantastic exit opportunities

Cons

Intense commitment to the job, not a good work-life balance

"Associate Consulting"

Current Employee - Associalte Consultant in Los Angeles, CA
    Current Employee - Associalte Consultant in Los Angeles, CA

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

First -- Incredible learning environment do to the diversity of experiences you get, the management team's to develop younger and newer team members, and the structure of formal and informal training and feedback. Bain has perfected the method for build strong and capable employees and I feel equipped to take on the challenge of high level roles at Bain or otherwise; Second -- Really, really wonderful people, Bain fosters a really supportive and fun work environment. At a local level, my colleagues are at once my mentors, confidantes, and closest friends. Bain also brings employees from around the world together on a regular basis to you can really be a part of this global community.

Cons

Standard for all consultants- hours can be long, client-facing work can be more time-consuming and less predictable than types of jobs. I think the trade-off for the type of work we do makes these things well worth the hard work- especially early in your career. Bain also focuses on finding ways to make the job more sustainable in terms of work-life balance, its a weekly conversation on all teams to ensure team members feel good about they work day as well as their free time