Bain & Company - Welcome to Bain | Glassdoor

"Welcome to Bain"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Welcome to Bain. I'm going to give you a problem that neither the CEO nor his entire management team could solve. And I'm probably going to give you lots of different opinions and imperfect data sources. And then I'll ask you to focus in on where the most value is and convince all those people with different opinions that you're right. But don't worry, I'm also going to give you a Bain team. Those associates and consultants are going to be tenacious in coming up with creative approaches. Those managers and partners are going to knock down barriers for you, connect you where you need to be connected, guide, support, direct and re-direct you. The office support staff is going to fix your computer after you spilled coffee on it for the third time, find you the unfindable data source, and smile and hand you a baked good after you ask for help re-doing dozens of slides. You are empowered and accountable but you are not alone. And the best part is you can't fail. Because after all, what all those people are reinforcing is that a Bainie never lets another Bainie fail.

Cons

Here's how you know you've made it at Bain. The reward for doing a good job is getting a bigger, tougher problem next time. Meaning, you are always solving the easiest problem you will ever solve again. This takes a lot of resilience and active managing of self-expectations to remember that you are not actually getting worse, the problems are just getting harder. So my advice is to remember that. And then take a second to realize that it would be a lot less fun if the reverse were true. And isn't that precisely why you wanted this job in the first place anyway? It sure was for me.

Advice to Management

Continue to find and promote the leadership that lives our operating principles.

Bain & Company Response

Sep 27, 2016 – Director, Global Consultant Talent Management

You have captured the essence of what it means to work here! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Other Employee Reviews for Bain & Company

1. "Great place to work!"

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time

Pros

Great people and lots of learning

Cons

Can be long hours depending upon project

2. "Truly The Best Place To Work"

Current Employee - Manager Assistant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Manager Assistant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

While interviewing at Bain and researching the company I was highly skeptical about the raving reviews. I am happy to report that after working here for ~3 months, I LOVE BAIN - the company values are practiced and seen everyday; the environment is fun, supportive, and interesting; and the people are intelligent, caring, and, for the most part, all wonderful to be around. I hope to be at Bain for many years to come and can't imagine a better work place.

Cons

If I had to criticize something, I would say there are a few CSS members who do not necessarily embrace the Bain motto - "A Bainie Never Let's a Bainie Fail". There are only a handful and it really does not influence the overall culture so don't let a few bad seeds steer you away from a truly amazing company!

Advice to Management

Keep up the great work and continued dedication to grow the people, brand, and firm!