Bain & Company - Welcome to Bain | Glassdoor

Find your next job here

"Welcome to Bain"

Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL
Current Employee - Manager in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than 5 years)

Pros

Welcome to Bain. I'm going to give you a problem that neither the CEO nor his entire management team could solve. And I'm probably going to give you lots of different opinions and imperfect data sources. And then I'll ask you to focus in on where the most value is and convince all those people with different opinions that you're right. But don't worry, I'm also going to give you a Bain team. Those associates and consultants are going to be tenacious in coming up with creative approaches. Those managers and partners are going to knock down barriers for you, connect you where you need to be connected, guide, support, direct and re-direct you. The office support staff is going to fix your computer after you spilled coffee on it for the third time, find you the unfindable data source, and smile and hand you a baked good after you ask for help re-doing dozens of slides. You are empowered and accountable but you are not alone. And the best part is you can't fail. Because after all, what all those people are reinforcing is that a Bainie never lets another Bainie fail.

Cons

Here's how you know you've made it at Bain. The reward for doing a good job is getting a bigger, tougher problem next time. Meaning, you are always solving the easiest problem you will ever solve again. This takes a lot of resilience and active managing of self-expectations to remember that you are not actually getting worse, the problems are just getting harder. So my advice is to remember that. And then take a second to realize that it would be a lot less fun if the reverse were true. And isn't that precisely why you wanted this job in the first place anyway? It sure was for me.

Advice to Management

Continue to find and promote the leadership that lives our operating principles.

Bain & Company Response

Sep 27, 2016 – Director, Global Consultant Talent Management

You have captured the essence of what it means to work here! Thanks for sharing your experience.

Other Employee Reviews for Bain & Company

1. "Great Experience Working at Bain & Co."

Former Intern - Anonymous Intern
    Former Intern - Anonymous Intern

I worked at Bain & Company as an intern

Pros

Everybody is extremely friendly and you really make friends with the people you work with very quickly. They make the days and weeks go by fast. Lots of events outside of work as well to stay connected and network with co-workers.

Cons

Can't really think of any cons in my experience. It is a large company so it may be overwhelming at first but you begin to see the same people every day and it makes the office feel a lot smaller

2. "Fast learning curve"

Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL
    Current Employee - Consultant in Chicago, IL

I have been working at Bain & Company full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Learning and development is excellent

Cons

Hours can be really long