KEY NOT FOUND: coverImgAlt

Current Employee, more than 5 years

Welcome to Bain

Oct 5, 2015 - Manager in Chicago, IL
    Business Outlook

Pros

Welcome to Bain. I'm going to give you a problem that neither the CEO nor his entire management team could solve. And I'm probably going to give you lots of different opinions and imperfect data sources. And then I'll ask you to focus in on where the most value is and convince all those people with different opinions that you're right. But don't worry, I'm also going to give you a Bain team. Those associates and consultants are going to be tenacious in coming up with creative approaches. Those managers and partners are going to knock down barriers for you, connect you where you need to be connected, guide, support, direct and re-direct you. The office support staff is going to fix your computer after you spilled coffee on it for the third time, find you the unfindable data source, and smile and hand you a baked good after you ask for help re-doing dozens of slides. You are empowered and accountable but you are not alone. And the best part is you can't fail. Because after all, what all those people are reinforcing is that a Bainie never lets another Bainie fail.

Cons

Here's how you know you've made it at Bain. The reward for doing a good job is getting a bigger, tougher problem next time. Meaning, you are always solving the easiest problem you will ever solve again. This takes a lot of resilience and active managing of self-expectations to remember that you are not actually getting worse, the problems are just getting harder. So my advice is to remember that. And then take a second to realize that it would be a lot less fun if the reverse were true. And isn't that precisely why you wanted this job in the first place anyway? It sure was for me.

Continue reading
    731 people found this review helpful

Bain & Company Response

Director, Global Consultant Talent Management

You have captured the essence of what it means to work here! Thanks for sharing your experience.

1. 5.0
    Current Employee, less than 1 year

cool

Jul 1, 2022 - Anonymous Employee
    Business Outlook

Pros

cool job merch for interns

Cons

long hours for summer interns

Be the first to find this review helpful
  2. 3.0
    Current Employee

Good pay and benefits, hard to progress if you don't "fit"

Jun 19, 2022 - Consultant
    Business Outlook

Pros

Lots of knowledge to leverage on Benefits and compensation People are nice (at least in front of you, away who knows)

Cons

Very clicky, staffing opportunities vary a lot, BUT everyone is judged the same way, o if you don't get same opportunities you are well set to underperform Did not get mentors until one year in, even tho that was mentioned as a key part of the Bain advantage/experience when recruiting Long hours with those emails telling you to take care of mental health (haha when?)

Continue reading
    Be the first to find this review helpful

Bain & Company Response

Director

I’m sorry to read about your experience. Ensuring equitable career progression, including mitigating bias in our talent processes, is an important part of our DEI – and broader talent management – efforts. I recommend talking to your consultant program manager, HR contact, or DEI office champion to discuss your concerns.

Discover more reviews about Bain & Company.

Bain & Company Photos

+ Add Photo
Bain & Company photo of: We are guided by True North.
Bain & Company photo of: From the first moment you meet our team, you will feel our supportive environment.
Bain & Company photo of: We give clients results, not reports.
Bain & Company photo of: Our supportive environment means there's always someone in your home office to answer your questions.
Bain & Company photo of: Catch up with colleagues in the cafe.
Bain & Company photo of: We have multiple affinity groups that complement our inclusive culture.
Bain & Company photo of: Our teams work collaboratively on solutions.