Baker Hughes - Excellent Technology, POOR Management | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Baker Hughes

"Excellent Technology, POOR Management"

Former Employee - Team Leader in Houston, TX
Former Employee - Team Leader in Houston, TX

I worked at Baker Hughes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Technology. Clearly Baker Hughes has some of the brightest Innovators the E&P Industry has now. BHI is known of their brilliant technology.

Cons

Management (notice I didn't say "Leadership"). Throughout the "Mafia" of Managers (all the way up to the Executive Level), there has a been a great history of "You scratch my back, I'll scratch yours". Baker isn't about moving up on merit, it's about who you know and how well you manage up. If you want to get into a management position, at BHI, you have to quickly learn who to stay away from and who to befriend in Management. Baker is last in the Big Four (i.e. Schlumberger, Halliburton, Weatherford) because of management, not because of technology. Too often I watched Managers put their personal agendas ahead of the company's best interest in order to meet quarterly results and get their bonus'...at all cost (including firing people to improve their quarterly profits). I've never seen such a poor example of management abusing their power for their own gain as I've seen in other companies. If you're in a leadership role, best advice I can give you is pass on an "opportunity" with BHI...unless of course, you're a political cut-throat that is saavy enough to know how to walk through the mine fields and plant them as well.

Advice to Management

1) Fire yourselves and do the company and stakeholders a favor. Too many unethical, immoral, insensitive managers that don't know the first thing about Leadership.
2) If you think you're too good to fire yourself, read "Good to Great" and assess yourself. If you disagree on any of the qualities that makes a Good-to-Great Leader, FIRE YOURSELF!
3) Implement a 360-Evaluation and tie 50% of your own total target bonus to the results. Then you'll find out if you're a selflish/insensitive manager, or a Company Leader.
4) If "SAFETY" is so important, than why is it NOT a "CORE VALUE"? Answer: "Like "ethics", it's embedded in one of the Core Values. Safety and ethics costs money, so why spend it until it's tied to profits and bonus.

Other Employee Reviews for Baker Hughes

"Big company headed in the right direction, but local problems persist"

Current Employee - Manager in Williston, ND
    Current Employee - Manager in Williston, ND

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent Benefits
    Strong Compensation
    Good facilities and equipment

Cons

Local and Product-Line Specific Gaps in HSE Culture
    Chaos from Reorganization Ongoing

Advice to Management

All of your new EOCs are woefully incomplete. Overhaul them again. Hold middle managers to HSE and Integrity standards.

Support your HSE Team. They are strong and dedicated, but HR does not support actions.
    Push your HR reps to investigate completely. Don't just take the word of the senior manager in any situation.

"Baker Hughes Pressure Pumping is a good starting place for a self directed and ambitious engineer."

Current Employee - Field Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Engineer

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Baker Hughes Pressure Pumping does an extremely good job at making a safe workplace. The documentation for how that happens is not perfect, but the mentality and awareness of the employees goes a long way toward this purpose. Training-wise, the provide many opportunities for an employee to explore different perspectives.

Cons

I might have high expectations for what an engineer should be doing, but I feel that the company expectations for a field engineer are somewhat low. While this is OK for an individual who acts on a strong desire to learn and grow, other people may not be aware of what they can use their skills for. Furthermore, for the purpose I assume is protecting trade secrets, I feel as though our resources to understand our products are somewhat limited. We are given enough information to do our routine duties, but maybe not enough to quickly gain mastery.

Advice to Management

I would encourage automation of simple, routine tasks for engineers, such that they can spend more time learning and better understanding our products and tools. I would also encourage higher standards for the training classes. A lot of training is done on the job. While experience and contextualization is essential for training a productive field engineer, I think that the engineers would provide better value more quickly if they were trained more rigorously and held to higher standards. While the current model for training works well for self motivated employees, it might not work as well for the less confident and less willing employees.