Baker Hughes - Big company headed in the right direction, but local problems persist | Glassdoor
There are newer employer reviews for Baker Hughes

"Big company headed in the right direction, but local problems persist"

Current Employee - Manager in Williston, ND
Current Employee - Manager in Williston, ND

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (Less than a year)

Pros

Excellent Benefits
Strong Compensation
Good facilities and equipment

Cons

Local and Product-Line Specific Gaps in HSE Culture
Chaos from Reorganization Ongoing

Advice to Management

All of your new EOCs are woefully incomplete. Overhaul them again. Hold middle managers to HSE and Integrity standards.

Support your HSE Team. They are strong and dedicated, but HR does not support actions.
Push your HR reps to investigate completely. Don't just take the word of the senior manager in any situation.

Other Employee Reviews for Baker Hughes

"Baker Hughes Pressure Pumping is a good starting place for a self directed and ambitious engineer."

Current Employee - Field Engineer
    Current Employee - Field Engineer

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Baker Hughes Pressure Pumping does an extremely good job at making a safe workplace. The documentation for how that happens is not perfect, but the mentality and awareness of the employees goes a long way toward this purpose. Training-wise, the provide many opportunities for an employee to explore different perspectives.

Cons

I might have high expectations for what an engineer should be doing, but I feel that the company expectations for a field engineer are somewhat low. While this is OK for an individual who acts on a strong desire to learn and grow, other people may not be aware of what they can use their skills for. Furthermore, for the purpose I assume is protecting trade secrets, I feel as though our resources to understand our products are somewhat limited. We are given enough information to do our routine duties, but maybe not enough to quickly gain mastery.

Advice to Management

I would encourage automation of simple, routine tasks for engineers, such that they can spend more time learning and better understanding our products and tools. I would also encourage higher standards for the training classes. A lot of training is done on the job. While experience and contextualization is essential for training a productive field engineer, I think that the engineers would provide better value more quickly if they were trained more rigorously and held to higher standards. While the current model for training works well for self motivated employees, it might not work as well for the less confident and less willing employees.

"Poor IT Management !!! - Only Out For Themselves!"

Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Houston, TX
    Current Employee - IT Project Manager in Houston, TX

I have been working at Baker Hughes full-time (More than 10 years)

Pros

Having a job in a bad economy. Outside of that, There are no good reasons to work in Baker Hughes IT right now.

Cons

IT Management from lower line managers to Directors are only interested in looking good to Vice Presidents and the next layer of the organizational structure so they can advance their careers. Upper Management is being told what sounds good not what is really going on. There are so many problems from full time employees being over worked to products being deployed with many issues just so a project deadline is met and someone can reap the "reward" of project completion. Managers are allowing flawed product deployment. They are turning their head and saying "I don't know" so there is no ownership of the problem.

Unrealistic guidelines
    Unrealistic project deadlines
    Layoffs
    Hiring cheap labor in Kuala Lumpur
    Outsourcing jobs to India
    Poor IT Support
    No longer a good organization to work for!

Advice to Management

Pay attention to employee surveys! You will more than likely find out what is going on in your IT organization.