Baker Tilly Virchow Krause - Public Accounting | Glassdoor

"Public Accounting"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Minneapolis, MN
Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Minneapolis, MN

I have been working at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (More than a year)

Pros

The employees are smart, and there are opportunities to work on a variety of projects. It is also easy to take on lots of responsibility early in one's career. Since employees work many hours especially during busy seasson, employees are rewarded with meals and other perks.

Cons

Employees work long hours during the traditional busy season of a public accounting firm. They pay is also probably not at the same level as some of the big 4 accounting firms.

Advice to Management

Give the new staff as much responsibility as possible early in their careers to keep them interested and involved.

Other Employee Reviews for Baker Tilly Virchow Krause

"Many challenging projects. Some good people. Surprisingly high turnover."

Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL
    Former Employee - Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

I worked at Baker Tilly Virchow Krause full-time (More than a year)

Pros

Great opportunities to work with people from different teams. Fairly easy to get your work on display to senior management. There are a few awesome people. Generous PTO and fair pay.

Cons

People are very clicky and our office is not very social. Definitely have to adhere to strict preferences of your manager or managers, and it definitely isn't an atmosphere based on independent thinking and creativity. Practices towards towards social media are antiquated and stifling--doesn't have a FB presence, and blocks FB in the office. Mentoring program is a good idea but not structured well. Surprisingly high turnover. In the past 6 months, at least 9 senior level people left. Also, not very transparent or consistent messaging when people do leave--sometimes there are announcements sometimes not. I'm alao convinced that they need to retrain the performance counselors, as I've witnessed inconsistent approaches to feedback. Culture can definitely definitely be described as stuffy and political--a winning combination.

Advice to Management

Take a more progressive approach to social media. Also, inspire creativity, dont stifle it. Need to coach performance counselors on how to give positive and negative opinions of their subordinate's work. Both criticism and praise are important to growth and development.
    Provide transparent communication to employees.

"Lucky Find"

Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Vienna, VA
    Current Employee - Senior Accountant in Vienna, VA

Pros

Baker Tilly offers the resources of a national firm and opportunities for accelerated growth and opportunity of a regional firm. Management listens and adapts to feedback we give them. My supervisors are all genuinely interested in my development and they help me seek new opportunities.

Cons

As with other public accounting firms, long hours are required during tax season and other various busy seasons throughout the year. The firm does a great job of balancing out the rest of the year with different types of projects and activities.

Advice to Management

Keep listening to your people.